New Slug Feature for Customizable URLs

Hi all - quick note that this feature has been rolled out again, with the originally reported bug fixed. Please give it a try now!

9 Likes

Thanks for the update @allenyang!

1 Like

@allenyang

Once again I’m developing my url params and tearing my hair out trying to troubleshoot a mysterious issue that has cropped up and come to the forms to check on this and sure enough I see this post coinciding with my issues … again.

Is this not being tested prior to roll out? Malfunctioning URL params seems to have seriously broad implications for user apps

2 Likes

Filed bug report.
App is currently broken .

I am using both url/path/lists and ? key=value parameters at the same time, which may have been overlooked.

The url is being re-directed / re-written by bubble (outside my app’s logic) before the first workflow is triggered. Params are not being processed or received by my app anymore.

2 Likes

@jon2 The hotfix for this issue is currently going live, should be live in a couple of minutes

EDIT: fix is now live

5 Likes

Yikes, two pushes to live, each with (different?) critical bugs over a span of three days and breaking existing apps makes me worry about the QA/testing/roll-out process for new features. Hopefully this experience drove some discussion re: Bubble internal processes,…? Love the update, looking forward to when it works!

I’m going to sit back and let this one play out for a week or so - please post if you are more daring than I and can get this to work, thanks in advance.

5 Likes

@zoe great new feature! But can we please have the option to Hide it from a CSV Download?

It seems to have been added to all CSV Downloads and is now confusing my customers as to why the downloads have a Slug in it :snail: So hopefully we can have it default to hidden as it has changed every Bubble users current CSV Downloads.

4 Likes

I am seeing the option to hide the slug, i.e. “slug” is in the list of checkboxes for all the fields on the data type in the Download Data as CSV workflow action properties (further down from where your screenshot cut off). It’s also unchecked by default for me. If you’re seeing other behavior, could you please file a bug report so we can investigate?

5 Likes

Sweet! Can it be referenced in “Get data from page url” to get data from it to display in a group?

4 Likes

I don’t think that even with more rigorous QA/testing procedures you’d be able to know every bug or problem that may pop up. But I do think maybe they should’ve launched it as an opt-in public beta.

1 Like

@allenyang while in the the editor, hitting preview is taking me to the live site and not “version-test” site.

1 Like

Not sure if that’s related but definitely sounds like a bug; could you please file a bug report with more details?

1 Like

It’s sporadic since yesterday. It’s back to normal now. Will monitor and file report when i notice again. thanks.

1 Like

Ok, I think I either had to refresh the Editor or Push to Live (a change went live for us this morning). So that is now alright on my end.

But I think by default the checkbox should be Checked yes - meaning the download will treat the Slug as a hidden field and NOT include it in the download. Unchecked actually means it shows in the CSV download

1 Like

Sorry, yes, the default is unchecked which means the column is visible in the download. The default here is just like the other fields though, built-in and custom.

1 Like

New features shouldn’t introduce breaking bugs in existing apps. That’s what unit tests and regression tests are for. I have 20 years experience in the tech industry but thanks for the obvious explanation.

2 Likes

So excited! Thanks Bubble Team!

1 Like

This is amazing, been wanting this for a long time. Thanks team!!

1 Like

Amazing new feature! Thanks!

It did some testing with it and found out that unfortunately it doesn’t seems to work when you’re using path-parameters?

I’m using links with external urls in my app to create custom urls with category hiarchy;
e.g. https://<websitename>/page-name/main-category/sub-category/thing-name/thing-UID

I did some testing with this and it seems that bubble looks for the slug directly after the page-name (?)

So https://<websitename>/page-name/thing-name works OK, but https://<websitename>/page-name/main-category/thing-name doesn’t.

But then https://<websitename>/page-name/thing-name/main-category/sub-category DOES works.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to look for the latest path-parameter instead of the first one directly after the page-name?

(And of course, being able to set path-parameters in internal links and navigation would be the ultimate solution :wink:)

Then one last TIP for other users. I’ve you’re going to use slugs and have set privacy rules, don’t forget to check the ‘slug’ for everyone to see it. It isn’t in the documentation and it took me a while to figure out why it wasn’t working.

5 Likes

@MvV How are you able to set slugs for sub-categories?

2 Likes