- Nothing seems to happen when you load the large data set on page load into a state. Of course I give up waiting after 30 seconds or so, so maybe if you allowed it to run for the 5 minutes before the app sees a runtime error it could load.
All I know is I tested with loading a full list of all the items in the D.B. that I need and it didn’t load. After that, I tested loading just 6 items and it worked fine.
So, my next test lead me to try the method I found suggested of using a R.G. in a popup.
Yes, all 1700 items need to be loaded for this use case…but even if they weren’t needed it would still seem that the method of on page load adding a list of items to a custom state list is not as efficient as using the R.G in a popup.
I am not sure about how intelligently it is loading the items retrieved, but on my repeating group set in a popup I have it set to ext vertical scroll, but my assumption is that it doesn’t matter which setting between vertical scroll, ext vertical scroll or full list, as my understanding is they all retrieve the full list of items searched but only display them “on demand” if you are using the vertical scroll; otherwise the way I’ve seen R.G. getting loaded when set to ext vertical scroll or full list, bubble will retrieve and display all items found at the same time.
Not to your questions but a side note on this method for searching.
I am using this method as I have found it to be faster for loading large data sets.
I am actually using two R.G. in the popup…this is for the purposes of a faster filtering of searches for the user. On my page I have extensive choices of filters. When using one R.G. in the popup and utilizing the “search for:filter” option on the single R.G. it would have to call the database each time the user set a new filter parameter and therefore slowing down the app.
An obvious solution would be to restrict the users ability to filter when they “set” filter parameters on a button press instead of when clicking the filter parameter through a checkbox or similar. What I did with the second R.G. in the popup was utilize it to have a datasource of the first R.G. (the one that was loaded on page load with all 1700 items) with the filter.
What I noticed on testing this method was that my filters ran almost instantaneously on the page. By the way, all the R.G. I have on my page are using the second R.G. in the popup as their datasource.
Another benefit of this, not only are my filters loading faster, but also I have the sort criteria listed on the R.G. on my page. So they have a datasource of the second R.G. in popup and then a sort parameter. This seems to display faster as well, and made it a bit easier to get the filters and sort parameters to work in tandem without a user needing to “set a search”.
I honestly don’t know if this is the best approach but this seems to be working more efficiently for me.
I also have a lot of R.G. on my page, around 14 of them, which I am utilizing for enabling users to toggle between a list and gallery view of the search results and have it fully responsive on all screen sizes. I am trying to find a way to get the responsiveness to work as I wanted with less R.G. on my page but have already spent a lot of time trying to with no luck.