Anyway to lookup email in DB prior to login?

I want to show only email input field at LOGIN/SIGNUP page. If an entered email exists in User datatypes’ email field, show LOGIN and if not, show SIGNUP. Any tip?

Hi there, @yj.johnrhee… if I understand your post correctly, you could put the following conditional on hidden buttons or inputs to show them when the email is associated with an existing account… Search for Users:count is 1 with a constraint on the search of email = email input field's value. Note that your privacy rules would have to allow for this search to take place.

The above being said (and just food for thought because I don’t pretend to be a security expert), I wonder if the user experience you have described would be frowned upon from a security perspective because you are basically giving someone an interface to quickly see if a particular email address already has an account in your system. So, who knows, maybe the real tip here is don’t do what have described. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Hi @mikeloc, Thanks for the quick response. I didn’t think about the security issue. Yes, I agree that it can be a problem. BTW, what does “:count is 1” do? I may be able to guess but want to make my understanding clearer as a newbie here.

:+1: John

1 Like

The conditional I mentioned searches (and does a count) through the User data type to see if there is 1 record where the user’s email matches the email that was typed into the email input field. A conditional with :count > 0 at the end would accomplish the same thing.

1 Like

Thanks Mike.

1 Like