App Takes Over 20 Seconds to Perform Login Action

Are you guys also testing the problem with logging out?

Hi @eve… that is great news!

I am wondering if support could have some kind of mechanism to communicate about the likely time frame for a bug fix… I know I sometimes have to delay releasing something or jump through big time consuming hoops to get around things, and it would be great to know I was doing those things for an informed reason!

Best wishes,
Antony.

While we would love to be able to provide exact timeframes (trust me, I really would very much like to be able to tell you that this project will be finished on a specific date!), it is occasionally very difficult to estimate these things: any of our engineers can tell you that, frequently, something you think will take a half-hour will stretch out into a two-week-long project. Because of this, our general policy is to not provide timelines; we would rather not give you the wrong estimate and have you rely on something to be fixed within that timeframe.

2 Likes

I’m having some trouble reproducing the issue to the extent that you and @jonathan.timianko reported it above, but I did see some things that I am going to continue poking at to see if I can get them to break. Please do keep in touch with me via our email, it’s the easiest way for me to keep track. :slight_smile:

So true.

Thanks @eve! I would say it’s definitely gotten better in the last week or two obviously the platform is always evolving and things just get fixed. However there is one thing I wanted to ask you for the benefit of the forum. I have another piece of functionality on my app that takes a really long time to complete and I notice that when I perform this action that takes a long time once, and then I go back and do it again right after, the second time it happens much quicker than the first time. I am noticing that on the logging out action as well, if it takes a long time to log out once, and then I go back and do it again right after, the log out happens almost instantaneously. This will sound like a weird question, but is bubble built in a way where the system automatically leaves functionality on apps that haven’t been used in a long time in a semi-dormant slow state so that the stuff that is being used frequently on apps is fast performing instead, i.e. if I have a bunch of users and everyone always stays persistently logged in but then the first user that logs out for the first time in a while experiences the slowness and then the other users who log out after experience the speedy log out?

It’s possible that this is a question of caching - does this replicate if the first action is done on your regular browser and the second time it’s completed it’s run on an incognito/private window? If not (which I suspect is the case), the question is just whether or not parts of the data involved in the workflow have already been stored in your local cache where your computer can pull it up much quicker than if it has to communicate with our servers.

Hi there @eve

I’d like to support you in testing out the fix to this bug this afternoon…! (or this morning, in your case!)

It is quite complex to find the test case now as I have done so many things (that I need to undo when the bug is fixed) to make my app work around the bug!

So… could you tell me - is the possible fix to the bug live on the version of Bubble I access now, or is it only available to you on an internal version?

Because I am looking back through old versions of my app to find a version where the app is effected by the long login time, but if the fix is already there I will look forever and not find it!

Many thanks,

Antony.

I did a test and you are correct it takes a long time to load in the regular window but on incognito it loads fast. I have a video if you want me to submit a bug report and you can see it, but in any case, the only way to solve this is for me to structure the workflow for it to be more efficient or you guys to push performance improvements on your end?

Submit a bug report, please and thanks, I’ll take a look! If you’re getting it faster on an incognito window, it may be worthwhile clearing your cache/cookies to see if that speeds you back up also.

2 Likes

Hi there @eve

I’ve just sent you an email with a test case I’ve managed to dig out of a backup version of my app!

For me, being incognito makes no difference, the login time is still very long.

Good luck in finding the solution!

Best wishes,
Antony.