Arc (alpha release): What does your content say about your brand?

Hello, Bubble Community. I’m excited to release an alpha version of “Arc” by Nucleal. I built this myself entirely on Bubble in about 4 weeks. This is the first place that I’m announcing its availability, and would love for people to give it a try and leave me feedback, either here in the forums or in a private message. (Either way is fine, even if your feedback is negative.) Please do not share this app’s availability elsewhere, as I plan to continue working on a number of things before moving into a more open beta.

On the surface it is a very simple application, but behind the scenes it’s doing quite a lot of work. I made heavy use of Bubble’s API Connector to crawl websites for content, fetch Twitter and Facebook feeds, grab Medium posts, push content through IBM Watson’s API, and more.

The first output is a chart that displays your brand’s (or your personal) “archetype” chart. Here’s what it looks like for Bubble:

You can also take a self-assessment that will then compare how you see yourself vs. what your content says about you.

Have fun with it! Post your own screenshots in this thread, too, if you want!

My biggest limitations using Bubble are:

1. Calculations – the inability to maintain order of operations or perform “basic” statistical calculations caused me to do a lot of workarounds and extra database writes, which are slow. I literally had to create a step-by-step workflow to manually calculate a Pearson correlation coefficient for use in my “Brand Alignment Score”. I haven’t even checked the logs yet to see how much extra time that is adding, but by comparison that calculation is built-in and instantaneous using Excel.
  2. Workflow action sequencing – not being able to have firm control over which workflow steps happen in which order required me to write a whole bunch of conditional logic that is too brittle for a production application, in my opinion. That, coupled with a bug with using “Only when” conditions on API-related actions, caused me several days of delays and are making the app harder than necessary to maintain.
  3. Charting – still struggling to find a good charting solution with Bubble. The native chart plugin is a non-starter for all but the most basic visuals, so I am currently using amcharts (unlicensed, as you can see) for now, but will explore hopefully better options now that I’ve gotten the alpha out the door.
  4. Speed – related to #1 (writing interim calculations) for sure, but I simply cannot find a way to write data to my database faster than what you see now. According to log data, 80% of the time it takes to render the first on-screen report occurs after I get crawl data back, fetch tweets and FB posts, and push all of the content through Watson. It does all of that in <15 seconds, and then takes a full minute (!) to write some simple derived data back into the Bubble database for 12 records. As you can see, I’m embracing the delays by showing an on-screen tutorial of sorts, but still it’d be nice to be able to skip it or otherwise just get the report faster.

Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think! Happy to answer any questions here about the application itself or about building on Bubble. Thanks!

-Ed

4 Likes

I should have added: it sucks on mobile, though will be legible in landscape, so stick to trying it on desktop only.

Hey Edd,
it gives the following error when i try to run it (i left the medium input field blank, but at first attempt i inserted a wrong medium handle and there was another error)

Levon Terteryan
Founder@Bubblewits - #1 No-code Developer & Bubble Certified Partner
  Bubblewits.com - Get in Touch!
  Zeroqode.com - Buy Great Bubble Templates
  Builtwithoutcode.com - Bubble Apps collection

Thanks. What browser?

chrome

Works for me. Here’s T-mobile. I’m suprised the rebel score is so low for them.

1 Like

So the error that @levon pointed out is a perfect example of the problem I’ve had working around the aforementioned bug that causes API actions to fire regardless of their “Only when …” conditions. In this case, regardless of whether or not the user puts anything into the Medium input, Bubble will fire the API request. Because I already know it will give an error if it attempts to fire a request with no Medium handle at all, I have the default value (set as custom state on page load) of the Medium field to be “Medium”. That way, if the user leaves the field blank, the unwanted API request will not return an error, and I can ignore the response (which is a blob of @medium’s Medium content) rather than writing it to my database. And if the user does enter a Medium input, then it overwrites the custom state and I use that in the API request.

But since in this case a value was entered and then erased, it’s now making an errant call again. I thought of a way around this already, but still it’s yet another piece of conditional logic that shouldn’t need to be written. All the app should need to do is say: if there’s anything in the Medium input box, call Medium, otherwise do nothing.

Thanks, @levon, for testing it out. Did you have luck running it for Zeroqode yet? I see a few attempts …

Fantastic App Edd well done.

I feel your pain on your limitations, especially points 1&3.

If you do find a charting solution please share as it’s my biggest headache with bubble and IV still not found a solution.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

1 Like

i tried couple of times without of luck and then I ran out of patience :slight_smile:
but i’ll retly when the bugs are fixed :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Levon

1 Like