Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

BDK Native Apps - Build before you buy

Hi Bubble Community & @gaurav ,

In the BDK plugin documentation #9 Play Remote Video File (link below), what element can we use to display the video?

Bubble’s native video player’s “Video source” only allows Youtube or Vimeo. What element can we use to access files from the database and play them using this workflow?

Thank you so much for the help!
Jason

1 Like

Hello guys,
I got 2 questions here:

1. I am trying to use stripe to charge the customers within the app but it doesn’t seem to be working. no action is occurring.
  2. I am trying to use twilio video chat but it doesn’t to be working either.

I would appreciate all the help I can get since these 2 are the most important features with my app.
Thanks

1 Like

@gaurav With the $ 16 BDK plugin, is it necessary to do the $ 349 conversion?

the $16 BDK plugin gives you early access to use their features only to use and test in your app. But to create builds/deploy, you need their $349 service (or lesser if you go for ios or Android alone).

Hello. Will this screensaver adapt to different phone screen sizes?
http://joxi.ru/vAWG6x7CB3dLDA

Hi @gaurav

i am about to start on the mobile app. Can you please confirm if i can create a page like Mobile instead of using the index?

I read in other resources that my mobile app should ideally be on the index page.

Just trying to check if BDK native apps allow using any page other than index to create the native apps.

FYI: i will use index for other purpose and there will be separate Dashboard app too under the page called App. And they will all be linked to the same Database

1 Like

Hello folks!

I’m another happy BDK native customer and @gaurav 's fan.

There is one thing that I’m struggling with and that is the Android Back Button, so wondering how you folks handle it.

In my case - I use a combination of Bubble’s go to page and BDK’s Navigate to link options to take my user to a different page. The BDK’s navigate to link works as intended, but tends to be a lot slower than Bubble’s Go To page and hence my question on how the android back button works in this environment.

My workflow is as follows:

When ELEMENT A is clicked on Page A ----> Show Element B (a loader or a pop up that is not visible on page load) ------> Go to Page B.

Now when I press the android back button from Page B, it goes to Page A, but the Show Element (pop up or loader) is showing up.

Even if I do a ‘WHEN ANDROID BACK BUTTON IS PRESSED’, go to page A, in the workflow, it goes to Page A and the pop up is still showing. It kind of seems to ‘remember’ the flow before it actually went to Page B.

I’ve even tried 'WHEN PAGE LOADED and ELEMENT (pop up or loader) is visible, hide element. Doesn’t seem to work.

Would be obliged to have any help in this case. Or should I bite the bullet and add the Navigate to link (with condition of for native app), in all my workflows that involve going to a different page. I have 350 of them. :sob: :sob: :sob:

Thank you in advance for your help.

I was wondering if someone could explain how to set up TestFlight on an iPhone so that I can test my BDK Native application features. Thanks

Trying to find out how to sort my user contacts using the BN Addressbook container in the BDK plugin. Contact currently users native contact display in App preview as a random order, and i need to be able to sort the Contact Name JSON alphabetically to display the user device address book alphabetically in the app. Anyone with experience with BDK Address Book Container?

@gaurav Hello Gaurav! Please tell me, will the application be able to work offline if the connection is lost?

I development an application for builders and they sometimes have a bad connection at the facility. I need them to be able to enter data offline, and when the connection is resumed, it’s all uploaded to bubble live.

Can it work like this? If not, how can it be implemented with the involvement of programmers?

This is very important to me, thank you!

1 Like

Hi, @gaurav

Web app do not work when the screen is off or the browser is on background. Geolocation for example or detect a database update.

After conversion with BDK, will my app work in the background?

Thanks for the attention!

1 Like

Curious, any issues with the new responsive engine? Or is building a mobile app with BDK supported by the new responsive engine… if not when will it?

I don’t think I can go back to the old engine ever again!

1 Like

Hello. Anybody here? I see a lot of questions not answered and I’m about to go down this path.

This is not possible I think. I have ask this personally to Gaurav. There is one wrapper that can give you the location even if the app is backgrounded, which is Gonative.io but you need to pay around $5k for the customisation.

Works fine with new responsive engine - at least for my app

Step 3. 1. Test your app through the ‘Preview mode’ in the demo app when viewed on device

This makes no sense, I have been sat here for hours and don’t know what to do. I am on my phone and don’t see Preview mode.

1 Like

Did you get a response from @gaurav ?

Yes I did, the ‘Preview mode’ refers to the preview button in the BDK website, not the Bubble app. I am still finishing up things on my website so not yet started converting to mobile app, when I do I will update this thread properly.

Did you get a response to this issue? I am too facing this.

Hey guys,

Just seeing the questions on this thread & others so I’ll get to the FAQs right away. As there were many topics over different forum threads, I’ll touch on most of them here in no specific order. It’s a bit of a long post.

For any subsequent queries not answered by below, please reach out via actual support channel i.e. the chat at thebdk.com. Kindly don’t rely on support via forum. Its very difficult to manage practically as the forum wasn’t meant for product support.

1. Agency plans: We don’t officially support password protected apps like on agency plan yet. It’s about to be released soon. If you’re an agency interested in using it right now, you can try a pre-release of upcoming v2.0. For that information please message me on the chat at the link mentioned above.

2. Old / new responsive engine : BDK Native is agnostic to underlying rendering tech since we don’t interfere with content of the page. Hence, it will work with both old & new responsive engine from bubble. In fact, your app doesn’t even need to be built on bubble.

3. Single-page / multi-page apps: We don’t have any constraints like single-page apps, specific page sizes, separate pages for native app, page ui control via parameters, pages built on non-bubble platforms etc. Our customers say that it’s the most seamless & drop-in wrapper for bubblers. To my knowledge, bdk native is also the only wrapper for bubble apps which has Native transitions (equivalent of new tab on browser) for navigating between different pages. You get to specify custom transition screens, swipe from left edge on iOS & android back button support like modern native apps.

4. Background location: When app is in background, the bubble part will not receive the location information i.e. client-side workflows don’t run unless the page is in foreground. Before someone suggests → Yes we can send the location info to the bubble app via api call to backend workflows. But it’s important to take the time for getting it right. There’s risks if you implement it as some quick hack: (1) If you just got location update data pinged to bubble app without keeping scaling in mind, you’d likely be DDoSing your bubble app from your own native app. Even worse - you won’t be able to control it once the app is on the stores since that code will be in the native compile and not in the webview. You may end up in a situation where you’d need to either stop your bubble app or force remove your native app from store with that feature. We don’t want that for our customers. (2) The location data server side will need context from bubble app too (e.g. which user / thing is the location for). Else the information is useless. This means the wrapper will need to smartly support collecting user/thing data from your bubble app and then sending it server side.

5. Sign In with Apple: A bit too much misinformation / misunderstanding around this one so I’ll clarify here. Like Sign in with Facebook, twitter, google etc. Sign In with Apple is another sign in (but with much better privacy options for user). It works on web, iOS and Android apps like other 3rd party sign-ins. It’s not only for native apps (yes, try it out on desktop / mobile safari if you’d like). BDK Native supports the Sign In with Apple implementation by default. So if you have it implemented for web in your bubble app (on your own / any plugin), it will automatically work inside native app. We don’t market this as a feature of bdk native since it doesn’t need to be marketed as a feature.

6. In-app purchases: We’ve supported In-app purchases for over a year already. There are a lot of apps on the Appstore & Playstore that are built with bdk native and use these capabilities. I highly recommend you read this article I wrote to explain what in-app purchases are, how you decide whether apple / google require you to use these or 3rd party processors like stripe etc.

7. Multiple native apps on one bubble app: We’ve supported this from the very beginning. You can have as many native apps pointing to the same bubble app (each project is independent of other), thereby enabling 2-sided, 3-sided commerce & marketplace apps like Uber etc. Bdk native based apps can be built for any link i.e. any page of your app (not just index) and it can also have url parameters etc.

8. Build & Test before purchase: Most wrappers will give you ‘feature demos’. You can check all feature demos in the bdk native app as well. But we go way beyond this. You can also check out your page inside a native environment using the ‘Preview mode’ offered by bdk native app. There’s even more. You can install the Native apps (bdk) plugin in your bubble app and add native workflows to the bubble app. They work in the preview mode. So you’re actually able to start building your native app without even purchasing the full-service.
    Pro-tip: Bubble charges pro-rata basis for monthly subscription of plugins. You can install the Native apps plugin via monthly purchase option. So you only pay for the number of days you use (~$0.13 a day). Then if you like it, you can switch to the $16 one-time payment (no need to re-do workflows).

9. Build & Test after purchase: Once you get your app built with us, your own app doubles up (rather multiples up) as a native ‘version-test’ app. What this means is you can make changes (including native workflows) in the version-test of your bubble app and test it in real-time in your own native app without deploying changes to live. This is just one of the several amazing use cases possible because of our firebase’s powerful Dynamic links feature that comes pre-integrated in all apps built with Bdk native.

10. Pricing & Ease of use / build: Every build delivered comes with all features that we offer at that point of time. We don’t do feature-by-feature add-on pricing, add-on optional services pricing, or asking you to pay for some additional 3rd party services to enable features like in-app purchases. Our customers say that they like the product because it’s powerful & intuitive, and the build service because it’s hassle-free and easy. You never see an ad for Bdk Native because our customers like to refer us. This post is pretty much the most ‘marketing’ done for Bdk native.

11. Links:

• Bdk Native overview (features, pricing, differentiator etc.) is here
  • To install Bdk native app, open this link on your iPhone / iPad / Android phone / tablet
  • Gallery of few apps (currently ~85 listed) built with bubble & bdk native here
  • Answers to historically asked FAQs at helpdesk here
  • Feature-by-feature documentation for the plugin is here

Hope this answers most of the common questions.

Cheers & have a great weekend,
Gaurav

8 Likes