Bring Groups to Front when Showing them

Is it possible to make a group automatically come to the front of the stack when you “show” that particular group? This would make navigation within my app so much easier. Otherwise, the groups I believe are ordered by when they were created, with the latest group on top.

If this is not possible, or not recommended (for a reason I’m not aware of right now) what are the recommendations for managing a back button’s flow back to the previous screen.

I have multiple ways to get to a screen, but I’d like to get back to the screen I was just on when I hit the back button, not some random other one.

Thanks

1 Like

That’s part of the issue of having many elements on the page and not have a great UX there. i’ll keep that idea in mind (though not sure how it’ll work yet).

1 Like

Well, an option for me, is create duplicates of the same group and give them names that correspond to the path someone could take to get there, and then I can show and hide those specific ones as needed, but that seems inefficient and requires a lot of repeat code.
I was thinking that I could create some numbering scheme, where every time I show a group, that group becomes #1, and the previous group that was #1 decrements to #2, and #2 decrements to #3, etc. so when I go back, I could call group #2, etc. That way I don’t need to worry about the order of the group. But I’m not exactly sure how I would implement that.

1 Like

I did think about that and ended up structuring my apps with “back” buttons on every group, so they can be easily ported to be mobile-native.
All my apps only use one page, so having this feature would be very useful.

1 Like

One workaround that I did for a previous app was to have a custom state named current-view. Then I set up each of the groups in my native app to only be visible when current-view corresponded with each specific group’s number.

In order to handle back button navigation for groups that could be shown multiple ways, I created a second state called previous-view and stored the previous group’s value to that.

Example:

Group Dashboard is only shown when current-view is 1. Group Profile when it’s 2, group Settings when it’s 3.

You can get to Group Profile from either Dashboard or Settings.

I navigate to Profile from Dashboard, and set current-view to 2 and previous-view to 1. Now when I press back on Group Profile, all I have to do is change current-view to previous-view’s value.

Hope that helped!

3 Likes

@natedogg That’s pretty much what I was imagining I would have to do. The issue though is I have to figure out how deep these levels can go.

Thanks

Would it be easier for bubble to add a workflow function of “Hide all groups except…” on a click, where you could then add groups to not hide? That would do the trick for me personally and save hours of time.

1 Like

That wouldn’t work very well for “back” button flow in Native Apps. You’d have to then choose which group to show when pushing the back button, but since you can get to that group from multiple paths, the back button option would be complicated or need a lot of conditional statements.
The easiest, I think, is if when you show a group, it automatically gets moved to front. That way you don’t have to hide what was open before, and then when you hit “back” and hide that page, the previous page is right there.

1 Like

@natedogg do you use popups in your designs for native apps and do have any problems with them?

I’m not currently using any popups, but haven’t had any major issues with them in the past.

My one gripe is that I don’t like how they resize. So I prefer to use focus groups instead and use a shape or something to create the greyout. But that’s just personal preference.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone is still having issues with this, but I was today and I just made a copy of the whole group and stacked them, made the group that was causing the issue collapse the height when hidden, then didn’t show it at page startup. I made the a button that toggled the two whole groups.