Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Bubble bug report and customer support

Hi Bubble community!

I’ve been around since 2016. It’s been a long road for Bubble and for me. The platform is evolving for the better, I’m constantly learning a lot with the very helpful community.

However, there’s one thing I’m quite appalled: the bug report and the customer support.

I always try to avoid it because, firstly it is usually on my side (!) and secondly it is like talking to chat robots (with exceptions of course). Maybe I’m out of luck. What about you guys?

Lately I described in details 3 bugs:

• On the first one, I’m told that my bug report is quite technical (only Bubble vocabulary however) and I should record a video. And if a third part plugin is involved, look for help from the community. The problem is that the bug happened with or without third part plugin…
  • On the second one, I was surprised by bug messages in the debugger and the page code. I was given a clear answer even though my bug report was read too fast in first reading, multiplying the number of messages
  • On the third one, I suspected that the Bubble API connector wasn’t working properly and asked for information regarding parameters sent (debugger kept minimizing and server log only showed the http response). I was told… to look for help from the community again, even though it was about parameters sent by Bubble. I had to write a python script, executed it in the cloud and shared the cloud log with the support team to prove my point. As you may guess, no every Bubble coders can do that.

In conclusion and from my perspective, the Bubble support:

• Probably read too fast the bug reports
  • When they are escaladed, the support tends to say that this is not their issue because it involves vaguely a third part (hence the chat robot)
  • A kind of limited will to really investigate the bugs

I know it is not easy to discover new subjects at each ticket and have a relevant answer. This is why I recommend to Bubble management to monitor the KPI “Number of messages sent/received for the same ticket” instead of “Average response time” or “Number of tickets handled per day”.

Curious to have the point of view of the community. As I said, maybe it is just me.

3 Likes

Hi there @Bobome,

Virtually a total different experience for me. I’ve reached support many different times and talked to many different people.

It seems like this thread is mainly about issues you’ve had with bug reports, so in my case when I did have issues with a bug and reported it @Jeff2 got back to me very quickly with a member of their engineering team, I believe it was @cal to fix it. I’ve had @AndrewV help me resolve a DDoS attack by transferring me over to @aless with the engineering team. I’ve also had an issue with a version control bug in which case @carla identified that there was an issue and brought in @aless from engineering to help out.

In regards to regular customer service questions, @eve has been the person I’ve talked to the most, @jess as well, @malcolm once or twice, @dazhane once. All of them super helpful and either: 1) pointed me to a place on the forum to get my question answered or 2) answered my question.

2 Likes

Just to share my two cents too:
When I isolate the bug in a reproducible manner it always gets solved.
If you care about these bugs, then do so and I believe they will get solved very quickly too.

2 Likes

We’re sorry to hear about this experience that you’ve had with our team! There are a few things I’d like to highlight:

• We absolutely do not use robots! All incoming tickets are reviewed and answered by a real person on the team. We do use some canned message templates for questions that we see frequently, to save our team time, but even those are selected and frequently modified by a team member after a close read of your ticket.
  • We’re limited in the support that we can provide. As you can imagine, Bubble is an extremely open-ended platform, and our users do all sorts of neat things to make it work for their businesses! Our team is a set of Bubble platform experts, but we can’t help with issues that involve custom code or which do involve third-party plugins. In the case of the former – we’re not developers, and the developers on our team are very focused on making the Bubble platform better, so they may not have time to directly answer user questions! If we can conclusively show that something’s going on with the way Bubble is interpreting custom code, we might be able to help, but that’s a fairly specific set of circumstances. Similarly in the case of our API Connector and external integrations. In both cases, our community has expert users (like @vini_brito ! :wave: ) that are great resources for building out custom integrations and code.

We definitely know that this limitation can be frustrating for our users when interacting with our team, and do ask for and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @eve ,

Thanks for you answer. I fully understand that custom codes and integration with external API are not part of your scope. This is completely normal and I totally agree.

Now, when this is plain Bubble and when this is about the parameters sent from Bubble to an external API, I believe this is in your scope. Please note that I’m not asking for help regarding the integration of an external API, I’m simply asking to know which data are sent from Bubble (the debugger keeps minimizing automatically).

I believe I have described the bug in details and isolated the bug in a reproducible manner. But I have the feeling that my bug is skated over (see bug report #16295). In the meantime, my app development is completely stucked.

Hey @Bobome :wave:

For the non python developers out there, here is what I do:

I just want to share a trick I learned about how to find out what data is being sent when maybe the debugger or logs aren’t giving enough data to be helpful.

Create a new database type, something like DeveloperLogs. You can add a bunch of text fields to it for testing. You can call it Test 1, Test 2, Test 3.

Then in the same workflow that is sending the API data, put a DeveloperLog right before or after that step. Copy and paste the same exact sources you are sending along from Bubble into the DeveloperLog. I also put in some text for each field as well to label the data. I also put one field that tells me where I placed the DeveloperLog so I can find it easier later and delete it.

Then after you run a test, you can look at your database of DeveloperLogs to see what data is being sent.

This helps me a lot when debugging, especially on more complicated workflows. Also it would show exactly what the data looks like that you are sending.

Hope that helps! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

I like this…when building a template the template plan doesn’t provide Logs and it is very difficult to find out what data is being sent during backend workflows as well as API actions. Since the introduction of the API Connector feature to capture errors I use a data type of API fail to catch any from the backend since no user could ever report those.

I’ll have to use your setup if I experience issues in the future.

In the past though, I have reached out to support to get the Logs data and they have been helpful on that front.

I would like to also say that Bubble Support has always done an amazing job for me. I would say 75% of the time bugs come from third-party plugins and 25% is me working on something too long and needing a second pair of eyes.

Regardless, they’ve always been super quick when responding and very detailed. They have an awesome team.