Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Bubble + Jasonette (native mobile apps)

Appreciate your help. I’m starting to delve in the doc and better understand the concept of multiple containers. Looks like a bit of a learning curve still, but the payout is quite amazing (native feel at no cost!).

Thanks for the 2nd option as well, looks great too!

Here is an example of a ‘wrapper’ with less than 10 commands for your application in less than 5 minutes to build and 15 minutes to compiled… for free! :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to understand exactly what the output of that would be :grimacing: but once i will have went over the docs, I’m sure it’ll make sense!

@andrewgassen gotcha, thanks for the quick reply

1 Like

Don’t be confused with Json, it’s not a language but a protocol to follow. Json is just a format accepted as writing a letter with ‘Words’. All you have to do is use the ‘wrapper’ code in Jasonelle, and some mandatory lines. Seven lines of action and you have your ‘wrapper’ ready to be used.

Obviously, you need to install Xcode (Apple) and Android compiler, to compile Jasonelle main file and send it to the respective stores. The 7-lines json file can be hosted on the Bubble server. So at the iOS and Android compilation, you have to give the Bubble URL for the program to execute the commands of your tiny json file. Very simple.

Before sending to all stores, you can locally install and test your mobile app on your phone. Just don’t worry with tons of native Jasonette core commands (not now). Concentrate only on the wrapper and minimum portion of the json file and you’re set!

here is a summary :slight_smile:

1. Download the Jasonette file (Apple for this example)
    https://jasonelle.com/jasonette-old-docs/#quickstart, the file is found
    https://github.com/Jasonette/JASONETTE-iOS/archive/master.zip
    less than 10meg (core Jasonette file). Your json file will be less than 1k on your own Bubble directory!

1. Install on your mac Xcode https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

2. In your download mac directory, run SETUP from Jasonette files.

3. Xcode will open and the installation will be done! Look after, you can run your json file of 15 lines… :slight_smile:

4. Connect your phone with the usb cable to your mac, and click play on XCode. Done! It will install your new wrapper in less than 30 seconds.

Next when you will be ready! :slight_smile:

@greg92 (updated)

People are confused with ‘jasonette’ because they think they have to do programming… but here’s the smallest 7 lines of commands ‘wrapper’ done with jasonette for free. You can create your app and test it in less than 10 minutes! No need to compile your Bubble, just make everything responsive. If you need assistance, let me know.

{
   "$jason": {
		"body": {
			"background": {
				"type": "html",
				"url": "https://www.your_Bubble_domain.me",
					"action": {
						"type": "$default"
							  }
						  }
				}
			  }
}
2 Likes

Thanks for your tutorial @JohnMark. It’s been really useful, especially the json you provide, even though it’s super simple, made literally it no brainer for me who wasn’t sure how to write the wrapping).

I just followed it and (despite being completely new to android studio + jasonette), it took me very little time to have my bubble app wrapped in. That’s pretty amazing if we consider costs from other services !

Now I’ll agree with you that wrapping your app doesn’t require any programming skills, heck a mobile-designed app on bubble + jasonette would do wonders!
There’s only if one wants to build the front end with json for a native feel, then it does look like programming to me. Definitely easier than building a full fledged native app in any case though.

Two questions (@andrewgassen you seemed to have an opinion on the topic):

1. How do mobile app on bubble wrapped in vs. json front end + bubble backend compare ? Perf and native feel wise?
  2. In the latter case where one wants to build the front end with json, are all interactions on the app linked to your bubble app by calls on api workflows ?
1 Like

Hi @greg92

1. There is almost no difference for the user since ‘Bubble’ loads everything in memory for the current page, so speed and response are very fast.

2. Jasonette’s core system is written in C and includes all the native features you need to eventually make a 100% native application using the Bubble mechanism for the database and ‘workflows’. Your batch file is written in JSON format and is simply read by the Jasonette interpreter in a fraction of a second remotely. Every time you make a change to your file, the update is instantaneous for your users. However, it must close and re-open the application. Just this advantage is a huge difference from the competition, and especially much easier for us designers. We never have to compile or submit our apps to Apple or Google again!

• You can see my new post :wink:
2 Likes

By doing this wrapping method, will the mobile app have browser navigation? Like zeroqode native screenshot?

Thank you

Hi @jelly, welcome to Bubble.

Yes as you build your entire ‘native’ inside Bubble, you can create anything you want, like popup, button and Swipe touch (from Zerocode).

I dont like the web browser navigation bar like in zerokode cause it doesnt look like a native app but a web browser view.

So it seems like wrapping in jasonette will not have this problem is that correct.

Thank you!

The design is up to you :wink:

If you make your app in one page, it’s faster than switching from page to page (2 sec. once loaded).

Hey @jelly - thought you may find what we just launched interesting given your comment here. In particular, you may get some real value out of our component library that have true native look/feel and that also adapt to the device in use.

1 Like

Hello
This look cool. I know bubble have ui limitation.

Sorry im not very technical. If i only need to build one app, after i lauch it to the app store/play store do i still need to pay the monthly $65 a month?

For people who are new on the subject,

please read 10 min to create a free native app with Bubble for iOS and Android.

1 Like

Updates

More updates on 10 min. to create a free native iOS Android apps

Now you can just use this app to convert your Bubble web app into an Jasonette compatible Android project for free in 1-click. It is open-source.

What is json file?

Hi @loganphill.06

You don’t need anymore a file. You will find the info

10 min. Native App in 2020 iOS & Android

1 Like

@JohnMark a MASSIVE thank you to you for all your help on this page. My app was just approved by Apple (jumped through the hard hoop, time to submit to Google Play now). There are definitely some tricky points, but for all the non-coders out there, you absolutely can do it through Jasonette with Xcode.

The app is currently in beta testing. The main functionality is to show you what drink/food specials are happening around you in real time or help you find the type of scene you’re looking for. It’s based in NYC which is currently under quarantine and all bars are closed, so there’s no sense in releasing it now.

If anyone has any interest, you can download the TestFlight app if you have an iPhone and then use this link to download it on your phone: https://testflight.apple.com/join/SclulOJH

Feel free to grill me with any suggestions for improvements!

JohnMark, thanks again! This has been over a year in the making and I woulda never figured out Jasonette without all of your help on this page.

Cheers,

3 Likes

Hi @mikeyoconnell.18

Glad it helps. Corona slows everything down for the next 2-3 weeks, so it’s time to improve! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeeeesir!

1 Like