Bubble Page to PDF - New Plugin from Zeroqode

Hey, friends. Sorry for the late reply.

The page breaking functionality is quite sensitive to the object size (in px) which you want to convert to PDF. It works, in general, but needs some sort of playing around and adjusting your page content.
It is happening because the pagebreaker functionality is in beta mode at the moment. We are dependant on Bubble and waiting for the new engine with responsive settings. The plugin can not calculate perfectly the page breaking points of the dynamic page, because it has to calculate it by pixel and the current Bubble engine is not perfect for this job.

You can take a look at this test page and use it as some sort of example (the “RG (each cell)” button):

We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience and will do our best depending on us to improve this feature in the future. :pray:

@luke7,

I can take a look at your app and try to provide a few suggestions/make it work if you want. Just add our support@zeroqode.com account to the list of your app’s Collaborators. But there’s no 100% guarantee that it will be working perfectly on your page. :pensive: But worth trying.

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

Hello, please, I need help.

I have an input field. When the users writes a text that force this input field to horizontal scroll, the text gets TRUNCATED in the generated PDF.

In the PDF, there is only the text that is visually contained inside the input field without scrolling. All the other text gets cut off…

Let’s do an example to make it clearer:

The users enters in the input field: “My name is John and I’m a very skilled dancer”

And let’s say the input can show only “My name is John and” all at once without scrolling. So, for reading the whole text you have to move your text cursor forward… and then you can read the rest of the sentence “…I’m a very skilled dancer”. Well, when you convert this page to PDF, the text is TRUNCATED after “My name is John and”. The second part, the “overflowing” text is missing, there’s nothing else… you can’t scroll, the second part of the sentence is lost forever.

Why is this happening ? Is there a workaround for this ?

Please, let me know, this is FUNDAMENTAL for my app.

Thank you,
Alex

@promotika,
Terribly sorry for the late reply :pray:

I’m afraid, the plugin can’t convert the data, which is hidden on the page. If I got your use case correctly, it looks like this:

As you can see, the plugin is able to catch and convert the text in the Input element which is visible within the Input element. It can not rewrite the dimensions of the Input element on the PDF doc or display the text in the straight line exceeding the Input element’s size.

We would recommend you change the logic (limit the number of characters in your Input element) or design (increase the input element size) of your use case, to make it work with the plugin.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :pray:
Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

I’m hoping you can help me solve one last issue. I have used a custom font for my page and when I export the PDF it’s not including that font in the export. How can I work around this?

The interface is on the left and the pdf exported is on the right.

Hello, @richardsherman!
Thanks for reaching out and please accept our apologies for the late reply :pray:

At the moment, the Page to PDF plugin works only with Google Fonts. We have not included the ability to support any fonts to the plugin because it would extremely (:exclamation:) increase the conversion time.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

Hey @ZeroqodeSupport ,

I’m using another PDF plug in but not fully satisfied. So I’m checking if Zeroqode one can make me happy :wink:

I have a difficulty to generate PDF report (A4 format like) from different page width. I understood your app is also what-you-see-what-you-get? Is it possible to generate a consistence PDF regardless the page width?

For instance, if the PDF setting is optimised for 800px width frame, but user opens the page from mobile, can your plug in adapt to different width? How would page breaks work when the length changes? Ideally mobile user should get the PDF generated from 800px width. But that not what’s rendered.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Ohyoon

Hello, @ohyoonkwn!
Thanks for reaching out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for your interest in our plugin! Let me please try to answer all your questions.

Yes, you are correct. Our plugin will convert into PDF file elements that are currently rendered on the page. You can also specify if you want to convert to PDF some particular element, not the whole page. But the condition is the same - the element you want to convert should be visible and rendered on the page.

Our plugin mainly orients on the parameters you indicate in the Format section:

No, unfortunately. It will be needed to create a separate design and workflow for the mobile. The plugin is not designed to auto-adjust the page settings depending on the user’s viewport. It simply converts the page to the parameters you indicate once in the workflow (plugin’s action).

The plugin will cut the page to the point where the device’s viewport ends. You can check this on our demo page. If you test it from a mobile or desktop browser, the result will be different because of the point I’ve described above:
https://zeroqode-demo-01.bubbleapps.io/page-to-pdf

One more thing about page breaking functionality in our plugin. This feature is in Beta and it is not developed perfectly yet as we are waiting for Bubble folks to finalize their magic with the responsive engine. Once this feature will be complete, we start improving the page-breaking functionality in our plugin. At the moment it works, but not in all cases (does not work perfectly with repeating groups).

And one more hint: please use the latest plugin action (Generate pdf from HTML server-side ConvertortoPDFv2.0 A) to achieve the best PDF page quality.

Hope this information will be useful to you. :pray:
Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

2 Likes

Report a bug:
Environment:
1- In the new bubble CSS engine, with all page layout are new
2- use 2.0 Generation from Html server action, I have to say that output quality is 100% perfect, thanks!

Issue: I did a simply test page, that’s just 2 empty group with background color, and put page breaker in the middle, it does not seperate to 2 page in pdf, still in one page whatever I tried for fixed height, flex height.

Hey, @powerpro.led. Thanks for reaching out.
Sorry for the late reply. :pray:

Thanks a lot for the report. Since Bubble’s new responsive engine is still beta, we have to wait for its final version before making any changes to the plugin, referring to its work with the new responsive.

Also, the page-breaking functionality in the HTML action (which has a good quality) is under development as well, so it might not provide 100% results at the moment. Sorry for this inconvenience, but we are ready to do our best to improve it when the latest responsive engine will be announced. :slightly_smiling_face:

Be sure we will let everybody know when the plugin’s page breaking feature will be released, for the responsive engine.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.
Regards,
Zeroqode Team

I’d like to generate a PDF from a PopUp container on a page. Does this plugin allow PDF’s to be created from data in a PopUp group?

Hello, @ryan.flynn!

Thanks for reaching out!

Yes, for sure there exists a possibility to generate a PDF from a PopUp container.
To make it work please assign ID to Popup (or create a new Group in Popup and assign an ID to it) and indicate this ID inside the ID field:

Also, you can always check the plugin Demo Editor and use it as a workable example of the plugin setup.

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

Really appreciate the detailed explanation and screenshots. Thank you it really helps!

1 Like

Hello, @ryan.flynn!

It is a pleasure for us to see our users happy :slight_smile:
Please let me know if you have any other questions about our products, our team is always happy to help!

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

The plugin can save/generate PDF files and automatically download it to PC and upload it to the File Manager. However, I’ve tried everything and followed your editor but cannot save the URL in my DB.
ConverttoPDFv2.0 - output file URL returns nothing.

Has anyone else encountered this or know of a workaround?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hello, @ryan.flynn!

Can you please make sure that:

• the plugin element has the “YES” value in Appearance - “File uploads enabled” field;
  • you have activated checkboxes “Upload File to AWS” & “Autosave PDF” in the action “Generate pdf…”:

To make sure, the plugin is actually returning the PDF file URL after the successful conversion, please do the following:

• place the text element on the page;
  • use the dynamic value, choose the plugin element ("ConvertortoPDFv2.0);
  • and choose the state “outputFileURL”, as on the screenshot:

And lastly - to save the returned PDF’s URL in the database you can use the event “Do when the condition is true”, with the following condition:

Please let me know if it helped.

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

1 Like

Thank you for the troubleshooting info. I went through all the steps outlined and still no luck.

Here’s what I found and hopefully it helps with troubleshooting.

1. I kept my same workflow:
  • It was very helpful to troubleshoot adding the text element “CovertortoPDFv2.0 A’s outputFileURL” on the page I’m creating a pdf on. I’d expect it to not show up on the PDF (which it doesn’t as the URL is created after the PDF is created). So all good there. When I go back to the page the URL is shown on the page. Which is fantastic! However, the workflow to create a new … does not update the DB with the outputFileURL. I even tried adding a long pause between actions and it still doesn’t work. Being able to add a workflow event after generating the pdf that saves the URL to a paticular transaction in the DB is ideal.
  1. Updated workflow and removed my last step “Create a new…” and then added a “Everytime, Do When ConvertorPDFv2.0A’s outputFile URL is not empty” as you mentioned above.
  • This works and is the only way it saves the outputFileURL but only to a separate database/datatype. While I think I could build alot of logic to join the two separate db/datatypes…ie (transaction and pdf ) it really isn’t needed since it’s just a URL and not a file. Ideally, I’d love to be able to add the URL to my transaction record inline with the workflow and not have a separate db/datatype just for pdf urls. Or maybe there’s another way that’s easier I’m not thinking of.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks again for looking into this as I’m sure others have encountered it as well.
-Ryan

Hello!

Good to know that our recommendations were helpful for you. :pray:t2:

I presume, your question was about saving URLs in the Database. Thus, it seems like the solution for this case has been provided and you confirm it works.

Can you please clarify what do you mean by this?. If you mean that you would like to save a temporary PDF’s URL, then you can use a Custom state (use the action “Set a custom state” and place the PDF’s URL into it). But in this case, the PDF’s URL won’t be saved forever in this state (unlike a new record in the database), since when the page refreshes or you leave the current page - the state with freshly generated PDF URL will be deleted automatically.

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

I’ll give the custom states a try. Just to clarify, saving URL’s to the database via inline (step by step) work flow does not work.

To replicate: Please try disabling your “Do When, Everytime workflow…”,

then add Step 4 “Create a new…”

In addition I tried inserting other fields in this step to the db (and those are inserted correctly). But the outputURL does not get saved to db.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hello, @ryan.flynn!

Thank you for your clarification.
Unfortunately, the plugin doesn’t save URLs in the database without the event “Do when…”. So it is a unique solution to create a new entry.
Of course, all our plugins are improving permanently and our development team is doing everything for this. We’ll take your comment into consideration.

Thank you for your careful review of our products!
If I can help with any other questions please let me know!

Regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

1 Like

Thank you for looking into it and hopefully adding it soon to you development queue. I think others would appreciate having the ability to save the url with an inline workflow event as well.