Change Password For New User

Hi,

I need to trigger pop up for a NEW user that prompts that user to change temp password that he/she received in an email.
My current workflow is as follows:

1. Admin creates new user who is assigned temp password
  2. New user receives an email with the link to an index page
  3. From index page a new user clicks on login button
  4. Login button triggers a pop up that prompts a user to enter email and password.
    With temp password a user is able to login to a platform.

From that login popup, is it possible to trigger a new pop up for NEW Users only that prompts them to change password? The only resource I found for changing/resetting new password requires to send email to a user with the link to “Reset Password” page. My goal is to avoid additional emails rather than having a new user to change password on a first login.

Thank you!

Hi there, @dbarakchian22… you can do what you described, and here is one way you could go. You could have a yes/no field on the User data type called something like password changed, and have the field default to a value of no. Then, create a popup on the page that users land on when they log in, and add functionality in the popup that gives a user the ability to change their password. Next, add a workflow action to the login process that shows the popup only when the user’s password changed field is no. Finally, add a step to the popup’s workflow that sets the user’s password changed field to yes after they change their password.

Anyway, that’s just one way to go, and I hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your help. I am still struggling to implement the workflow. It looks like the first part is working - The pop up to change temp password opens up for a new user upon first login:

1. New user clicks on Log In and enters email and temp password
  2. If password isn’t changed (usually for new users only), then “Change password pop up” appears on the screen.
    Here is the rule applied for User data type:

Here is the pop up that prompts a user to change password:

1. When all fields are filled “Confirm” button should log a user in, since the password is changed, however, I keep having this message:

2. Here is the workflow for “Confirm” button.

Appreciate your feedback on that. I feel like I am very close but still having a hard time to figure out.

If I am interpreting what I am seeing correctly, the issue is Current User's email in the last screenshot. Try changing it from Current User's email (which you can’t use because the user isn’t logged in yet) to Input Email's value (or whatever you are calling that input), and I think you should be good to go.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did what you said above but still keep having this issue. I suspect that it only works for logged in users rather than for new users who attempt to login first time. Is there any other ways to implement it?

And here is the workflow that I changed:

Thanks for your help!

Oh, right… you are changing the user’s password, so it won’t work because you are referring to the new password when trying to log the user in, but that password isn’t part of the user’s current credentials. Try logging the user in with the password in the temporary password input, and then add a workflow step that uses the Update the user’s credentials action to change the user’s temporary password to the new password.

Hi Mike, thanks for this. The workflow worked for new user, however, that workflow collides with existing user’s login who changed password.
So, “change password” pop up ONLY shows up for new users who did not changed their passwords yet. Then a new user changes password, and success message pops up.
Here is the workflow for that:

Next, I tried to test if my new password that I changed works. I logged out and supposedly have to login without “change password” pop up on my screen. Although, this pop up still shows up:

I also managed to create two user workflows: for an existing user (who changed password) and for a new user (who is about to change password):
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

For users who changed password:
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

At the end, I should have following logic which is currently not working properly:

1. When password changed, a user logs out and logs in back with new password. No “change password” pop up should appear and user should be brought to Dashboard page directly as shown in Step 3 above.

Thank you!

A few things…

In step 3 for a user who needs to change their password, you shouldn’t need the Only when on the workflow action because you are already in a workflow that is supposed to show the popup.

Also, I don’t think you need the step that hides the popup for users who have already changed their passwords.

Finally, the biggest thing is I don’t see where you are setting a user’s password_changed field from no to yes when the confirm button is clicked and the password is changed. If you never set that field to yes, the workflow for users who have changed their password will never run.

Thank you! Although, I am not quite getting when you said : " Finally, the biggest thing is I don’t see where you are setting a user’s password_changed field from no to yes when the confirm button is clicked and the password is changed. If you never set that field to yes, the workflow for users who have changed their password will never run."

1. Where/How exactly should I set “a user’s password_changed field from no to yes when the confirm button is clicked”?
    Do I have to create a workflow? Do I need another field in data type User such as password_changed = yes?

Thanks a lot!

From the first screenshot you posted in this thread, I can see you already have a yes/no field on the User data type called password_changed. So, if I am understanding everything correctly, you should just need to add a workflow action after the Update the user’s credentials action. The new action should make changes to the current user, and the change to make is to update their password_changed field from no to yes.

Ok, got it. I just made changes to the current user as follows. It actually logs me in with changed/new password (after I changed password, logged out and logged back in) , but “Change password” pop up keeps appearing on the screen as if I am a new user and never changed my password. I would need “change password” pop up to never show up for a user who changed password. Thank you!

Oh, wait… the highlighted workflow and the blue one probably don’t work because the user isn’t logged in yet, so you can’t check the current user’s password_changed field.

Try combining those workflows into one event that just logs the user in, and then have an action in that workflow that shows the popup only when the current user’s password_changed field is no.

Ok, I tried to combine these two workflows and have additional step as follows. Since I checked: “Only when: Current user’s pass changed to yes”, it suppose to login me ONLY when password is changed. But this workflow logs me in automatically without triggering “change password” pop up (which is the next action). I would appreciate feedback on that too.

You want to log the user in regardless of the value of their password_changed field, so try getting rid of the Only when condition in the first step. Then, add an Only when condition on the third step that goes to the dashboard only when the user’s password_changed field is yes.

@mikeloc Thank you so much! It worked!

I’ll follow up in case if I have any questions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.