Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

Comparison of other No-Code/Low-Code Products

It seems like new no-code/low-code platforms are popping up daily. This growth in our community, as well as how Bubble’s evolution fares against the competition, deserves recognition. In addition, exploring the unique use cases some of these other platforms are solving might just spark ideas for how Bubble can progress to cover them even better.

Provide any insights you have on any no/low code solutions you’ve used, considered, simply heard and are curious about, or even leveraged with Bubble (e.g. Ionic, Codepen, Zapier, etc.). For ones you’ve looked into yourself, were they exemplary? Elementary? or Counterrevolutionary? We want to know! Pasting from other threads is welcome.

1 Like

I’m curious what anybody knows about…

Google App Maker
Betty Blocks - “no-code with an escape hatch”
Kissflow
Mendix
OutSystems
Apian

1 Like

Also came accross Google App Maker. Anybody has experience with those on your list?

Google App Maker is intended for use with internal systems and users, not for building externally facing SaaS apps. As an example, if you wanted to build a timesheet solution for folks on your GSuite domain, you might be able to use Google App Maker. If you wanted to build a Timesheet solution that people signed up for and paid you to use, Google App Maker is not an option.

3 Likes

Makes you wonder though, how long till the tech giant steps in with a competing product. They did that with firebase which is pretty much Backend As A Service.

I would say Google App Maker is a competitor or Microsoft Power Apps (again more for internal applications)

Have you guys seen Betty Blocks? I think it provides escape hatch? Is this somewhat similar to Bubble?

Hey @willtaylordesign,

I’m currently working on a full comparison of all no-code tools available.
Google App Maker, Outsystems, Mendix, Microsoft Powerapps, Zoho Creator, are all internal-use only, not made to develop a SaaS.

KissFlow is a BPM (Business Process Management) tool. It doesn’t have bulk actions, external user login or complex workflows. It’s basically a mix between a form and a spreadsheet.

There are several other tools, but I haven’t been able to categorize them properly, so I created my own categories (please be aware that I’m still testing some of them, so this is just a initial evaluation):

Website Builders
Platforms that allow us to develop a website and perform some actions, but lack bulk actions (the click of a button can perform several actions), complex workflows (not just navigation) and user login/membership, such as:

• Wix
  • Webflow
  • Wordpress

Mobile Simple App Builders
Platforms that allow as to develop standardized native mobile apps, mainly to use as catalogs or product indexes:

• Mobile Roadie
  • Appmark
  • Appypie
  • Fábrica de Aplicativos
  • GoodBarber
  • ShoutEm

Mobile Advanced App Builders
Platforms that are similar to Bubble in what you can achieve, but made to develop only native mobile apps, not web apps:

• MIT App Inventor
  • Thunkable
  • Kodular
    (Funny thing here: both Thunkable and Kodular are originated from MIT App Inventor. MIT and Kodular are free to use, and Thunkable is paid. However, Thunkable is the only one which allows to export for iOS. Kodular and MIT only allow Android export)

Web Apps Builders
Platforms that allow us to build web applications, with visual editors, bulk actions, API calls, user login, etc:

• Bubble
  • Wappler (It seems like it, but I still haven’t tested it properly, I’ll keep you notified)

Database Portals
This is a special category which I have created to fit some platform that don’t really match on the above, as they have some database and spreadsheet functionalities, are integrated with APIs, and you can develop a membership portal to access and modify data, but there aren’t many visual capabilities, and most of the time there are no bulk actions:

• Airtable
  • Appsheet
  • Knack

Anyway, the ones I really focus on are Bubble (the best web app builder IMO) and Thunkable (the best native app builder IMO).

Hope I could help.
Best regards,

Renato Asse

1 Like

Checkout glideapps.com for mobile apps. It’s still pretty limited, but the team is adding new features at a rapid pace. I know Ben Tossel of makerpad.co is touting them.

Nice input. In thunkable, you can use Bubble’s database? If yes, then we can create standalone app on thunkable with its own database or local storage then have the capability to sync to Bubble’s database when goes online?

1 Like

Yes you can. You can also add “workflow” that will trigger once you are online. So you can sync with Bubble DB.

Is Ben a bubble user?

Glideapps is basically PWA? Or not? Meaning it will also need to be connected right? It does not function with offline mode?

He says he is not. That he has not got to grips with it yet.

1 Like

@shu.teopengco, check out how @edwardbutcher has managed to integrate Bubble backend into Thunkable: