Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Concerns with bubble

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

Hi

I have invested more than three years of my life in Bubble and built a large enterprise Saas app, lets call it a very sophisticated MVP. After optimising it so much it felt like a sports car with a paper thin body I quickly realised Bubble is not built for production apps that need to scale.

Bubble still has the same performance issues it had when I started using it and still drives me nuts when the editor slows down do a snails crawl. I am constantly getting reports from customers that the app is slow at times and I got tired of apologising.

The app is still on bubble, but I have stopped marketing it and treating the early customers as testers while the features get defined and the processes are optimised. Trimming the fat or sculpturing the stone into a clear set of defined unique propositions.

I made the move to Wappler a little over three months ago and I am a no coder and Wappler does allow you to build sophisticated apps and would suggest that you do not invest as much time as I did in Bubble before moving over to a more stable and scalable development platform. By all means use Bubble to test out ideas and learn which processes work best for your use case, but Bubble is NOT a production platform and you certainly don’t want to be tied into a platform that relies on multiple developer plugins for functionality - that is just a nightmare waiting to unfold!

I hear the rhetoric coming out of Bubble and they do seem to be more concerned about saying the “Right thing” then addressing the actual issues. I have seen a more dramatic change in the design of the Bubble website more times than they have paid attention to the platforms limitations. I would suggest the reason they are slow in development is because they spend most of the time putting out fires!

My advice for what its worth, by all means use Bubble to test ideas and maybe get on a few alpha customers while you define the application features and value proposition. But when you are ready move on to another platform that allows more freedom and scalability.

The Bubble team is still young and inexperienced and one day they may crack it, but it’s not there yet.

Cheers

8 Likes

Thanks for your insight. How did you find the learning curve in your move to Wappler?

I would say I’m quite proficient using bubble now, and have good knowledge of high level architecture design and concepts.

I’m curious how much time it took you to get to a point where you became just as comfortable with Wappler as you are with bubble. Would love to hear your experience. Thanks!

Am I the only one who feels like this was a troll? :point_up_2:

1 Like

Post activity could suggest otherwise. However going straight onto the offensive could imply the later.

Try out the stripe js plugin by copilot. They have a course to learn to implement a payment system where you can customize the UI UX as per your need.

1 Like

Hello Eve,

I’m looking forward to try no-bounce transitions, but can’t find them in the animation list.
Could you please advice what would be the exact name for this new transitions?

Thanks

These are not quite live yet (though they’re in our queue to release!) – keep an eye on our Releases page for up-to-date pebble releases, and we’ll be updating the thread as we go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be much easier to keep our eyes on things with a roadmap page…just saying…:eyes:

2 Likes

These are now live, check out the original post for details!

2 Likes

This is good to hear. When you talk about the data export feature, do you mean the “export” feature in the data tab that creates a CSV file that Bubble will email you a link to download and requires you to separately request each data type or is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

So precise description of what Bubble has become!
Boot camps, monthly reports, COVID-19 free plans - is all dust and no real progress in developing Bubble as a platform. Sad.

3 Likes

From my limited experience there is nothing that comes close to Bubble in terms of rapid prototyping. I do have a problem with the reliability of processing larger sets of data. Using api workflows to guarantee reliability is imo not the right way to do things. I’d much rather see the system throttle standard workflows whilst still guaranteeing data is processed. But, like with most “issues” in bubble there is a workaround. Their SQL connecter works great. I’ve connected to Azure SQL and once in there you get to do the heavy lifting with TSQL and stored procedures. This does add a lot of time and effort to development of an app but is great for scalability and a must for any decent BI tool. In my mind a gamechanger would be if bubble allowed you to change the default database and link it to their SQL plugin. That way you have all the rapid coding goodness that is bubble and a DB you can access to do the more complex / unusual stuff as your app / skill grows.

1 Like

I really like Bubble, but the bootcamps, podcasts, and facebook ads I see just doesn’t make sense! Wish they put more of their budget/time into development. Product > marketing. Always. If you have an amazing product, users will do the marketing for you. Hope they read this so they know how they can improve

6 Likes

Hi, I’ve just seen your post when searching for Azure topics!

I’m trying to use the SQL Connector so I can pass Bubble data into a SQL Azure DB, though I’m having trouble getting this working. I expect it’s permissions but Bubble Support have advised me they don’t use static IP Addresses, so I’m not sure how I can set this up to get the data flowing into Azure.

Any help or tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

mssql://SQLUSER:[email protected]:1433/SQLDBNAME?encrypt=true

You might need to swop around the SQLINSTANCENAME and SQLDBNAME(Brains a bit rusty). All caps values come from SQL.

Thank you so much for the reply! Turns out I had the SQLINSTANCE part incorrect which I’ve managed to correct, so I’ve now got some data into SQL.

However, I realised it’s not a workable solution without a static IP Address because I have whitelisted about 5 IPs to get it working, but then I quickly start getting errors again as Bubble just keeps using new IPs each time.

How did you work around this?

Thanks,
Rob

1 Like

I always used Bubble and I am going to use it until it disapears.

I’ll second this. I used to spend huge amounts of time here, and written some pretty lengthy guides. But I struggle to find the time now, as I bubble a lot more, not less, than before. I’ve owned a consulting business for almost 15 years, and Bubble has gone from interesting side-project, to useful tool. to 80-90% of our business in five years. Sometimes we use Bubble for an MVP and then move on. Other times, Bubble serves thousands of customers in a production app, and does it well. I know pretty well by now where it’s the right tool and where it’s not, and anyone dismissing Bubble based on the negative comments in this thread, do so at your own risk, as you may miss out on a career- or business-changing tool.

To those who wonder if Bubble is for you: don’t pay attention to the extreme views on either side of the spectrum. Bubble is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not perfect and not horrible. I wouldn’t use a hammer to eat spaghetti, and I wouldn’t use a fork to hammer in a nail. Do your research, reach out to experienced Bubblers, weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.
I’m a huge Bubble proponent, but I used Wordpress on my company website. Why? Because it was the right tool for that job.

The strong, friendly community is one of Bubble’s main assets, and has been since I started Bubbling. The transparency that Bubble shows in lengthy blog and forum posts as well as in their private support channels, highlighting challenges and mistakes just as much as successes, is almost unheard of in a business setting. Trust me, I’ve seen some toxic forums, and this ain’t it. I happen to believe that what’s good for Bubble is good for me, and keeping a civil and factual tone is one of the responsibilities we can all take to ensure that the community stays positive and helpful. Users who resort to name-calling and labeling Bubble as deceitful liars… well… you’ve simply lost my attention. And that’s actually a shame, because the posts sometimes contain valuable points that drown in toxic language.

Many people have weighed in with certain pros and cons of using Bubble, and many of them make up useful criteria for making a decision. Here’s another one: Bubble is a startup in rapid growth. This phase of a company’s life cycle is always the same: promises and principles that were proclaimed early on have to be revised, as things get more complex. Growing companies all go through this phase, no matter how well-intended and professional they are. Challenges that were easily solved with five employees and 50 clients become increasingly difficult to handle with 30 employees and 30.000 clients. Maintaining the stability of thousands of apps simultaneously while rolling out a new feature is no small task, and I’m constantly impressed by how Bubble handles it and how genuinely concerned they are about getting it right.

They don’t always handle it perfectly. Sometimes they even make major mistakes that have real-life financial consequences for my clients. But as I said, they’re a startup, and that’s actually a criteria that you can take into consideration too, when you decide what tool to use.

Does that mean it should be shielded from criticism? No, not at all, but it does mean that sometimes you’ll have to accept that it is what it is. I’m not playing the startup card to make any excuses for Bubble; quite the opposite. I’m drawing attention to it to highlight something that may be worth thinking about when you decide whether Bubble is right for you. You’re not dealing with Microsoft or Apple, but with a young company going through the awkward teenage growth phase. Are you worried that a small team of young entrepreneurs can’t be trusted to handle your enterprise-level SaaS project? Then use something else. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket and become enraged when a startup acts like a startup. Bubble will grow and learn at it’s own pace, just like any other young company, and you’ll just have to deal with it.

This topic pops up frequently (understandably so), and with all the threads and different voices yelling, I can imagine it’s hard to reach a decision. But take my word for it: it’s not as rosy or as horrible as some of the voices in this thread will have you believe. It’s a fantastic tool, with its own set of shortcomings and limitations, and it’s a business that may make decisions that you don’t like. They’ve made numerous decisions over the years that I disagree with, but I accept that I’m one out of thousands of clients, and they’re not obligated to do what I want, even if it has consequences for my business. When things are brought up, Bubble actually do listen, but with tens of thousands of clients, not everyone will experience being listened to in a way that satisfies them. That kind of connectedness for any company in my experience can easily become a catch-22; you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t, as this thread proves well. But try making a forum post to make Microsoft change their strategy for Azure, and see where it gets you.

People who “left Bubble” seem to have a strong urge to come back to the forum and tell that to anyone who will listen. Take their points (they may be perfectly valid), but keep in mind that just like I have a tendency to stay on the positive side because Bubble have earned my goodwill, they’ll probably lean unfairly over to the negative side because Bubble somehow lost theirs. Try to find the balanced voices, and see your project as a unique case that may or may not match well with Bubble, regardless of how other projects have succeeded or failed.

33 Likes

Long post, but interesting.

Thanks for this feedback @petter, appreciated.

3 Likes