Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Concerns with bubble

After hearing this, I think I’ll jump ship. As someone else also said, it is not as difficult as @mangooly said.

2 Likes

Been trying out Wappler and it seems okay. I will only be transferring one of my apps because of Wappler’s support for Framework7. The rest are okay on Bubble.

I’m curious, are you planning to move your app away from Bubble? If so, where, or with what?

To be honest, I appreciate your honesty, but it makes perfect sense to remove you from moderator if you’re not an ambassador of the product. I don’t see how that’s a bad move from the CEO of the company you’re bashing…

You didn’t say “Bubble can be imperfect for complex application”, you said they’re using BS marketing, they’re full of bugs etc - hence, no real point in being a mod right?

5 Likes

Ya wrapper looks very very interesting. Might be a good option after proving out mvps in bubble!

Hello builders :v:,

Bubble is fantastic and has its share of advantages and disadvantages. More often than not, the disadvantages are created by the lack of experience with Bubble. You have to understand the mechanism and limitations of Bubble, and unfortunately it is only after several months that you finally understand (it is the same with any language). I can’t talk about my app which is in website form and under ios/android with Jasonelle but I managed to make it a very acceptable app. I am very proud to have moved from scratch to an app designer with Bubble. I have no intention of going into Wrapper or any other coding platform. There’s a lot to discover with Bubble as much as the speed, native apps and database level. Bubble is an incredible world to discover. :partying_face:

link: 10 min. to build a free native app with Bubble :large_orange_diamond:

8 Likes

I still hate their pricing system.

2 Likes

@casheets123 You were looking for a Bubble for app making? I think this might be it. And it’s completely free, no pricing plans, because of the professional work they do for big companies (DHL, The Verge etc.). I’m using it for one of my projects now. However, they don’t provide a database, but you can use Bubble for that and connect to it via their API.

1 Like

I agree. AppGyver is quite good (except for the missing DB) and you can make a native app (Android or iOS) very fast! Two ways you can use it with Bubble: 1) AppGyver frontend, Bubble backend 2) AppGyver blank app with webview, Bubble url in webview

2 Likes

Thanks @rukevweb . I found out only yesterday that Appgyver has released composer pro, it spits out optimized react native code AND the logic is node based. And… It’s FREE.
What is it with Finnish people and making fantastic software and making it free? :heart:

They also raised €2 million in funding for the builder and the dev team seems to be very active on the forum. And from what I understand, they use the builder themselves to build apps for clients(?). They are currently adding new features and improving the builder since it’s all pretty new.

I managed to re-build my UI in no time after opening the builder with no prior knowledge. So it’s very, very promising to say the least. I believe they have Figma import as well.

Yes there is no DB at this time @deadpoetnsp. But as you say, it’s easy to connect a backend and it sounds like a few people have done so with using Bubble as backend. You also have offline capabilities straight out of the box, which is fantastic for many apps where you only want data saved on the device. Now, we just need bubble to provide a cheaper plan for “backend plans” :wink:

I must say, I was slightly taken aback by the amount of people I have talked to on here over the last couple of weeks, who have decided to ditch Bubble for anything mobile. Not necessarily a fault on bubble, but perhaps webview in general.

I think I will spend a few weeks getting my head around the logic and the builder and take it from there. For now, I’m pausing the front end development of the mobile app on Bubble, but I might be back for an MVP build on bubble simply because I’m much more familiar and faster with bubble at this time.

I had connected AirTable to AppGyver in my test app, and it worked well. The thing that makes it a little difficult with AppGyver is a lack of nested data schemas (for example, custom data types inside another data type). I’ve been closely watching their updates and it’s cool to see their improvements.

Let me know if that’s been implemented or if you find a trick or hack to get it done and I’ll take another look.

I look at AppGyver as being complementary to Bubble in many ways, and hope more no-coders use and investigate the best of both.

:raised_hands: Indeed! Once you learn how to architect your app’s DB in more efficient ways, search for data in efficient ways, use states and nested DBs, you bubble world is revolutionized. However, agreed, the learning curve is very high. Almost as high, I feel, as learning to code, though uses different parts of the brain.

I’ve checked out all no code platforms and I believe Bubble is really the best there is.

6 Likes

I’m not that far into it yet. currently just reading through all documentation and then on to the videos. If it’s based on standard code, it potentially opens it up for a much wider knowledge base. That’s one of the main pros with Wappler I think.

And this sounds fantastic as well

Make it possible to add a custom React Native / React web plugin via a GitHub repository, so that the plugin also tells Composer the view components / flow functions / required build service settings it provides.

So eventually there will most likely be components for various things you can just plug in.

This! I don’t think there will be one builder to rule them all. Bubble does great for web apps. I’m running a web app on bubble without any major issues and it was super easy to set up. But for the project I currently have in mind it’s not even mobile first. it’s mobile only, dictated by the target audience. And for that, I don’t think Bubble is the best choice.

The project I have in mind is basically pulling in data from an external source, mixes it with some user provided data, does some calculations and spits it out. Something Appgyver sounds great for. However, there are still some big things missing like… in app purchases for one. So I might build an MVP on bubble and take it from there. Or just chill till Appgyver has the functionality I need.

The beauty of a stack is that I don’t have to scrap the whole app if I need to replace one part. If the DB is too slow… I can simply switch to a different one and the front end stays the same.

1 Like

Honest question, but how do you work with your data since you seem to love Bubble so much? Do you not have any need to do reporting on it or export it and so on? We use Power BI but obviously you can’t connect to the Bubble SQL server. You mention there’s lots to Bubble, like the database level, but are you actually storing your data in Bubble’s database and just trying their servers? Or are you hosting it in SQL or elsewhere and just using Bubble as a front end? I’m just genuinely intrigued by people that are okay with having all their data stored on Bubble’s servers that you can’t just directly connect to or easily work with. That is our reason for ditching Bubble. If it supported using SQL Server as your database I’d never leave, but our application has grown too large and become too mission critical to trust the data to Bubble, and we also can’t have it be in the USA anymore as we are not in that country (thankfully!).

2 Likes

If you want a really, really, really easy-peasy way to leverage the no-code movement into a workable web and mob experience (prob in a couple of days too)… then you could leverage Bubble as the web backend (the nuts and bolts) > push all DB tables to Google sheets (the glue) > feed the sheet to Glide (glideapps.com) (the candy) and sync systematically.

See that’s my issue right there. You are actually suggesting using Google sheets as the database to an Enterprise application and not SQL?

If you’re on a dedicated plan, we can give you read access to the RDS instance where your data is stored. It’s stored in a structure that is Bubble specific, but it’s still there and you can then read your data. Also, in such case, the servers can be anywhere AWS has a region (Montreal, London, Dublin, Singapore, etc.)

6 Likes

I’m not suggesting nor am I pointing to an ‘Ent app’, I’m merely giving an alternative as one can only presume that the majority of bubblers are here on a ‘no-code’ basis and have zero knowledge of DB design. When you start mentioning the likes SQL, they would probably run a mile.

1 Like

@deadpoetnsp @casheets123

Hi Folks. Interesting thread here. I’m a big fan of Bubble after about six months of using the platform. As a total non-coder, I’ve already launched a little hobby project that has exceeded expectations by actually accumulating a fairly large number of users and some pocket money, so can’t say enough about what @emmanuel and the team have created and how they’ve worked to keep the product accessible.

That said, I’m getting ready to build another app (for my main venture) and am trying to decide what path to pursue. We have a phased product strategy, and I think Bubble should be able to handle our first iteration (a SaaS web-app that will boast pretty high ARPU) just fine. As some other posters have suggested, I think it’s really a trade-off. We’ll inevitably have to move off the platform, but, in the early days, being able to prove concept, iterate quickly and gain traction/revenue with minimal input is straight GOLD.

That being said, we plan to launch a consumer-facing mobile app next year, and that presents different challenges. I had considered building on Bubble with @gaurav’s excellent BDK Native service, but I have some concerns about long-term performance and costs on Bubble, vis a vis other tools. From the research I’ve done, I’m very interested in AppGyver, for a whole host of reasons.

However, it seems they still have some very real limitations vis a vis Bubble. The main one would seem to be the difficulty of implementing payment functionality in-app. Am I wrong in this assessment? Would be interested to hear what other limitations you’ve found with AppGyver. At first glance, it kind of seems too good to be true.

Happy Bubbling,

TS

2 Likes

hey @ts11

I can’t speak to bubble and SaaS apps, since I’ve never built one. I built a small project to learn bubble. It works just fine and I might run it for a few years to see if it can pay for itself and then just maintain it. It’s very low maintenance and serves a very niche market. Even if I were to capture the entire user base in my location, it would be < 20k users. so realistically it would never grow to more than a few thousand users, and I have no intention of growing it.

Now, I’m in somewhat the same boat as you. The project I had in mind when I started bubbling is my next step. This is a mobile first/only mobile project, and I’m torn between shoehorning a webview solution with bubble or learning a new platform and running the risk that some of the functionality I need will not be built in time by Appgyver.

I have started looking at BDK Native and it’s really cool what you can do with it and I think, with some hard work, you can achieve a pretty good approximation of a native app. However some issues I’ve initially run into are things like;

• you can’t slide between “pages” unless you make a multi page app, which instantly breaks the native mirage.
  • the wrapper scroll have a different behaviour than native apps, or even modern mobile browsers, making it feel like a mobile webpage from yesteryear. There might be work arounds for this.
  • The way elements are rendered on page makes them “pop” into existence some times, which instantly breaks the native app mirage. There might be work arounds for this as well. I think BDK has a “page is loaded (fully)” component I haven’t played with yet.
  • It’s expensive. It will add several hundred dollars to your MVP cost with plug ins needed (depending on how native you want your app to feel) and build costs. And 6-12months down the line you (hopefully) have enough momentum where you likely will have to re-build your app with a native front end.
  • Currently I don’t think you can change the status bar text colour, which is a deal breaker for me as I need the status bar to be white. And the text is white by default.
  • bubbles animation library is very outdated and doesn’t provide slide in from off screen, so building something that truly feels like native UX is very difficult. if not impossible. I’ve been able to build something that feels like 80% native animations however. (SEE POST FROM EVE)

Everyone I’ve spoken to that has gone down the path of building a mobile app MVP in bubble has since left the platform for native solutions. There are people in various threads claiming to be running larger bubble wrapped mobile apps. I have not seen any of these apps, mostly because the owner of the app declines to show it, which I have full respect for and do not pass any judgement on whatsoever. It simply makes it hard to judge the ability of the platform.

edit: As has been said earlier in this thread. There might very well be big apps silently running as wrapped bubble apps. But the owners are simply not on the forums anymore or never were active in the first place and has declined to be part of the bubble showcase gallery.

1 Like