Create a comment for a cell in a huge table

Hi,

How would you do a comment in a cell ? Let’s say I have a table which is not a repeating group and I want a floating group to appear when I hover a cell. Do I have to create a workflow (on click / show focus group) for every cell ? is there a smarter way to do so ?

Thanks for your help

You should try to use the repeating group element for your table.
You will be able to accomplish what you want to do, with one workflow.

Otherwise, yes you will likely have to have a separate workflow for each item.

You can create a repeating group with static values. You will just have to add the values yourself in the Data section of your editor.

You should try to use repeating groups, for tables. It will be much much easier to do what you are trying to do.

@jordanfaucet thanks for your answer

How can you achieve it with one workflow ? Do you mean when you hover the repearting group it shows the focus group for any element ?

Because, the “focus group” shows information that is specific to this cell so even if I put it in a repeating group I will need to create an action for this specific cell.

I don’t know for sure about showing the group with just a hover action. You can definitely show it with a click action.

I personally would use a floating group.

The way you would set it up is: when you click a cell, you will pass data to your floating group. And then display comment in the floating group.

By doing that - you only have to have one floating group.
The comment in the floating group will change, based on the data it receives (when you or someone clicks the cell). So it wouldn’t matter is you have 10 cells or 10,000

(You might be able to achieve the same result on hover… I don’t know) - if that can be done; you would do that using the conditions on the floating group

I just checked. You won’t be able to do it with just a hover action.

Your users will have to click.

(You wouldn’t have been able to send data with just a hover either; which I didn’t initially think of)

@jordanfaucet thank you sharing this solution !

unfortunalely for me I have +200 cells x 6 tables so I can’t do this for each single cell :sweat_smile:

Your welcome!

When you have an element, inside of the repeating group, you only need to have one workflow. That one workflow would be automatically applied to all 200+ cells.

So definitely try using the repeating group.

You may just have to get a bit creative, connecting it all with the 6 tables.
Which shouldn’t be difficult, if they are all the same type of “thing”

@jordanfaucet thanks !

My tables look like that and I’m sorry but I don’t see how I can apply one workflow for each cell. Even if I put each line in a repeating group I will need to create an action for each cell, right ? Each line in this table is “not repeatable”

And I have to do it for 6 tables because I can’t find a way with Bubble to hide columns except creating differents tables and show the view I need :sweat_smile:

So what will the user be clicking (to see the comment);
they will click the dollar value cell?

Also - does that image represent table 1 ( meaning you will have 5 other, similar tables)?

When the user click on a cell (any number in the table) they will see a floating group that will display some comments on theses numbers. The others tables are exactly the same they just display some column depending on whever the company shows their report quaterly or bi-annually.

Well - I will admit. That is much more complicated than I thought it would be haha.

Two thoughts:

Number 1 (pertaining to my original thinking)
You could construct a database that looks something like:

Data type = Revenue (this creates the Revenue object)
field 1… dollars = (number)
field 2… date = (text) (i say text, because then you can write it as FY 2017)
…comment = text
…Company = (company)

So then you could create repeating groups (that are only 1 row long). Then create a workflow so that you can show/edit the comment in the floating group. (once again, you would only have to create a workflow for the first cell)

However, then you would have to repeat that data structure for EBTDA - Pretax etc…

You would then want to create an entirely new data type called Company
Data table = company
field 1 … company name = text
field 2… Revenue = Revenue ( the revenue object)
field 3… EBTDA = EBDITA
etc
etc

You would still need more than one repeating group (that much is true)
But if you connect all the data types by company; you should still be able to construct a way to use 1 floating group.

Hopefully that can at least help, with figuring out a way…

Thought number 2! Check out a plugin like this…
I have never used the plugin myself - but maybe it will already have this complicated mess figured out :rofl:

@jordanfaucet thank you so much I will try your solution first thing in the morning ! I think I may go with thought number 2 because it’s a real pain right now :rofl:

No prob! Good luck.

On the optimistic side, at least it CAN be done. However, like you say, it may be a tremendously tedious pain haha.

Cheers

@jordanfaucet maybe if you know a way to hide columns in bubble it will reduce the tables to one table and then it will be less painful :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately not. In this example, if you use a database design similar to what I have suggested, you would not be able to isolate a column from a row (if that makes any sense).
Also in Bubble you are unable to collapse containers horizontally…

What I would do in that situation is store an additional data on the company.

For example
Company = “Company Inc”
Sort = 1

Then if sort is 1 you will show the Bi-annual table
If sort = 2 you will show the Quarterly table.

Once you build the logic for the first table - you can just basically copy and paste the entire table and rename the elements.

So ultimately, on the page - you will only see 1 table. However there would be two tables (one hiding, while the other is visible)

And regarding the floating group comment system, I had thought of a way it might look…
I think you would also want to create a separate datatype called
Comment :
company = company
comment = text
EBITDA = EBTDA
etc

So your one floating group that shows the comments for any cell would have a logic that says something like:
"Do a search for Comments where…
company = this cells company
Revenue = this cells revenue

Something like that

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.