Creating a Dynamic Menu that Links to Multiple List Pages

I am trying to setup a Dynamic Menu on the dashboard page of my app where the menu items will consist of icon squares on the page that will send the user to a list page where the content being shown on the list page will be relevant to the menu item that was clicked (i.e. “Users” Menu Icon brings them to a list of users, “Inventory” Menu Icon brings them to a list of Products, etc…).

The data is being pulled from an Airtable base. The table that houses the menu information is very simple. It has a Name, Image, Description and a True/False Boolean.

Here is a screenshot of the table in Airtable showing a visual representation of he structure. All of the tables have not been setup yet, but for testing purposes I have a Users table and an Inventory table that I am trying to show content from on the list page when the corresponding menu item has sent the user there; Awesome Screenshot

Here is a screenshot of the dashboard as a visual representation; Awesome Screenshot

The dashboard page was extremely simple to setup and works just as it should in a repeating group, by showing all of the menu icons and linking to the list page, as well as not showing the menus icons when they have an Active state of False (Active is unchecked in Airtable).

However, this is where it ends. When I try to setup the list page and tell it what to show once the menu item has been clicked, I cannot figure out how to tell the page to only show items relevant to the menu item that sent the user to the list page.

Is there any way to achieve what I am setting out to do with minimal page creation? What is the best practice for setting something like this up? If there are any Bubble gurus out there that could lend me any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @ion welcome to the community

When a user arrives to a page the page does not know what to do.

If you pass information to that page via URL parameters … the page will now have information to act on :smiley: … how it acts depends on how your dB model and logic is structured of course.

Perhaps exploring how URL parameters work in Bubble may help:

Hello @cmarchan

Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with URL parameters and actually thought about using them for this particual situation. However, I am not familiar with how to change the data source depending on the URL parameter that is being passed.

I was hoping that someone who is more familiar with a scenario such as this could lend some advice as to the best approach for this.

Thank you again,

@cmarchan , I also see no way of being able to change the type of content for the page based off of the URL parameter. These settings seem to be static. Am I missing something?

Hello @ion

Use the operator get url parameter (or something along these lines) in a group that you specify as the type of thing that you are looking to read from the url. You can also specify the type of thing that you are reading with that operator.

Then use this group’s thing as your source of data for whatever that you need to do on your page.