Difference between User Data and other kinds of Data

I can easily make something (a button for example) to check on some User Data via conditionals, for instance: User X does some Task, that is registered as User X Task = yes.
Then some button changes its appearance “When Current User’s Task = yes”.

What I’m not getting is, why can’t I make that button check another type of Data, not related to “Current User”.

Let’s suppose User X does some Task, that gets registered as a General Data non-user related.
Then I would like the Button to change it’s appearance “When General Data = yes”
When I want to set up this conditional, I only have

• Current User
  • Do a search for (which I never understood how to properly use)
  • Get data from external API
  • Calculate formula

I have no option to choose something with the thing called “General (field) Data”. Is this something I do via “Do a search for…”?

Use the “do a search for” option.

It will open a new area where you build the search. Tell the search to look for things that you stored the information in. So, for example, you app has a user-thing by default. You might create a new thing called “Jobs”. In the “do a search for” parameters you’d select “Jobs” from the pulldown. If that’s all you do, then the search will return every single entry in the Jobs thing.

You can filter, sort, and do a few basic operations to change the results of the search. The final result is what’s available to the button.

If you haven’t completed the tutorials yet, then that would be a good place to start.

Hi, thanks for your replies. I haven’t completed all tutorials yet (I’m letting it all sink in before moving on) but I did quite a few regarding databases. I kind of solved this, but still don’t understand a few things.

To be clear:

There are two buttons. Thanks to people here in the forum I already learned how to make User A click Button 1 to unlock Button 2 when A is logged in.
What I want to do is User A to click Button 1, then Button 2 is unlocked for ANY user.

To do this, I thought clicking Button 1 creates something called “button state = yes” (that is not a part of User database). Then I want Button 2 to check if button state = yes, if true, then become clickable. That’s what I can’t do.
I tried “do a search for…” but when I get to the point I want it to search for “yes/no” it keeps wanting me to define more variables (I don’t think I need anything else).
In the Issues panel, it says "states must evaluate between yes/no but this is a list of yes/nos

So what I did was to create a different thing and make it a number. When this new thing is 1, then Button 2 becomes clickable. That worked.
Then I got adventurous and wanted to disable button 2 when user clicks button 1 again. This I couldn’t do.

My questions are:

1. Why did it work with numbers, but didn’t with yes/no?
  2. In order to disable Bt 2 I tried in the workflow “When B1 is clicked and Btn state is 1” -> make changes to thing… then I got lost again in the syntax, like with yes/no. How do I make it change Btn state = 1 back to 0?

It might be worth going back to your previous post and asking on that one. It sounds like you were using custom states, but now want to store something on the database ?

No, but you actually helped me solve it. I wasn’t using custom states at all. What I was trying to do was to create/modify items in a Database. I did all this with Workflow —> Create/modify a thing and Conditionals, no custom states. I just wanted to switch between yes/no or 1 and 0 when something was clicked, and then when I click back the same thing.

I was overcomplicating things for myself when a simple change of state would have done it. However, I still don’t get why it didn’t work with the “complicated” approach.

Search for … returns a list, even if there are zero, one, or more items in the list. If you want to work with the one item, append :first item is one of several ways.

To toggle between yes/no values, the simplest way in Bubble is the conditional logic: is no.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know!