Display field value based on "field name" value of another table

I have two tables:

• Startups
  • Directories

In Directories, I have a dropdown field called “Startup Field” which is a static list of field names corresponding to the fields in the Startup table †.

For example, a value could be “Startup Website”.

Now, what I’d like to be able to do is, on a Directory page, display the value of a startup field (e.g. Startup Website) as defined by the “Startup Field” directory field.

I can’t wrap my head around how to accomplish this. Any guidance greatly appreciated!!

† this list is static b/c I couldn’t figure out how to dynamically populate a list of table field names.

I think what you need to do is create a field in the Directories data type called Startups and make this a List of Startups. You can then add the startups to that directory and be able to call any field of that startup. I’m not 100% sure I’ve answered that right so let me know if you have any other questions?

Thanks for the response!

For each directory, I do have a Startup field to connect the Directory to the Startup. However, what I am attempting to do is to dynamically define which field from the Startup data type to display, per each directory. So, each directory would have a field called “Startup Field” and then, based on the related startup defined for that directory, it’d display the corresponding field.

For instance, I have a directory called Capterra. For Capterra’s startup field, I connect it to the startup, “Google”. For Capterra’s field, “Startup Field” dropdown list I specify “Website URL”. Then, when displaying the directory, it will show Capterra’s Website URL. This very last part is the issue that I can’t figure out if it is possible to do. Essentially, dynamically choosing which field to display based on a related data type.

Thanks again for the response, time, and help!

Does that make sense?

Ok I don’t think it is possible to set that up dynamically, I will have a look into it though.

One work around that would work but wouldn’t be ideal would be to define a condition for each type. So When Dropdown = Website Url the Text or Data source = Startups Website Url.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.