Displaying specific text of data after a specific input has been typed in searchbox?

Hi everyone, im still trying to understand how to properly display a specific text or message after someone types in a specific input text and submits.

ive already made my own little custom database to test and made the the fields “first name” “last name” and “balance”

for example, I send an email to a client i need to bill, they open up the link, its a simple looking landing page that basically would look up your bill/invoice based off the info i have in my database.

the input fields are “first name” and “last name”

how do i specify what specific message/data they get based off them entering their last name in the input field and submitting a button?

so, like something like, when they enter their last name, the text that displays would be thier “balance” that they need to pay. im finding this pretty difficult and no tutorial has shown this, its always for a repeating group or something else. but id like to display a single text or even a whole other page that shows them their balance that the owe with the option to pay.

this is deff harder then it looked.

1 Like

Hi @michaelmaghi - in your workflow to send email, you’ll want to send the client a link that’ll direct them to a page in your app. You can either send “Current Page User’s link” or you could have a dropdown with a list of Users (clients). See image below.

When the client clicks the link, they’ll go to a specific page in your app (you need to choose the page - see “Link Destination” below.) On that page you’d be able to show content that’s specific to that client.

Since it sounds like it’s financial info, I’d strongly encourage the clients would need to login and you have Privacy settings in place.

I created a how-to video for another type of application but it shows you most of what you’d need for your app.

How-to video to setup User Links

Hope that makes sense and helps you make progress.
tx
Nikolai

Hey nikolai thanks for the response on the email link example, but to be honest the problem i am trying to figure out is how do i display certain data/text on a page when someone types in a specific input after clicking button.

Im not the best at explaining what i want to do as im not sure what the correct terms are but heres an idea of what i mean.

i have business where my patients would like to view their balance,

they go to my app/site etc, they type in thier first name and last name

For ex patient enters their first name and last name as

first name= mary
last name= jackson

right after they click submit, a message or text below will display data text from the “patient balance field” thats in my data base which in this example would say

“Hello mary, your balance is $92”

https://broadwaymedical.bubbleapps.io/version-test?debug_mode=true

^^^^^ basically something like this when say the specific input “mary jackson” is submitted

HI @michaelmaghi - thanks for for the additional info. From the info you’ve provided, it sounds like you’re not expecting the patients to create an account in your app meaning each patient would not have their own unique username (their email address) and a password (ie they won’t show up as type “User” in the database).

You’re going to run in an issue when your app does the search for “Mary Jackson”. Bubble will be searching your database (Searching “List of patientss”) and if you have more than one Mary Jackson, Bubble will provide data on one of them (I’m 99% sure your app will return data on the first Mary Jackson it finds).

There are two ways to prevent this issue.

First is to have your patients create an account and login to get their info.

The second doesn’t require them to have an account. Instead you’d do a similar approach I outlined above but instead of sending “Current Page User’s link” you’d be sending the specific patient a “List of patients link” based on that specific “Mary Jackson”. And if you have N-number of “Mary Jackson” in your database, Bubble will create a unique link for each one of them. If you watch my video from above at the 13:45 mark you’ll see some examples of what these links would looks like

I suppose a third approach which also doesn’t require patients to create an account is to have a third input field which would be for a unique, random number created for each patient. They’d need to input that number in addition to their name to get access to their info. I mention it in the spirit of providing ideas - I don’t recommend this approach for a medical type of app such as yours.

Hopefully this info makes sense and helps.

One other thing. I’m not an expert in medical type of apps, but there’s been forum discussions on Bubble and HIPPA compliance. Here’s just one example: HIPPA Compliancy

If it’s relevant to your app, you probably want to do some research on building a medical type of app using Bubble and HIPPA compliance. Other forum members can give you their feedback.