Duplicating multiple data types and keeping their connection

Hi!

I’ve found the first problem I can’t read or test my way through (yay). I’ll try my best to explain it.

Basically, I have a number of data types that are connected to each other (linked through child/parent fields). The datatypes are structured as follows (D = datatype):

D1, D2, D3…
Children of D1 are: D1a, D1b, D1c, … (max 9)
Children of D1a are: D1ax, D1ay, D1az, … (max 9)

What I would like to achieve is: Copying a complete data structure (row 1-3), and have the new data connect to each other in the same way as the original data did.

Example (copied data is marked with “(c)”): after copying, the new D1ax(c) is connected to parent, the new D1a(c), NOT the original D1a.

Is there any method to achieve this result? Manually copying and connecting using multiple workflows quickly requires too many workflows to be feasible.

Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations of bubble wizards that might know of a solution!

Hi!

Did you ever figure this out? I need to do an almost exactly similar thing but I’m worried it can’t be done.

Please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Hey!

At the time, I decided to use an entirely different approach to avoid the problem.

I’m pretty sure now that this could be done using backend workflows.

How I would approach it now is setting up duplication workflows where each data type + children is dealt with one at a time in order to keep their relation to each other. Using the backend workflow parameters you can set up more complex workflows where the relation between multiple tiers of duplicated data could most likely be kept intact.

Thanks for the reply Daniel! Hadn’t seen this until now but I ended up taking a similar approach.

1 Like