Each Item: Do search for in Data Type

Hi, everyone:

I thought I had solved this but it turns out it only worked for one situation.

I have:

• A data type called Events (This includes fields called Name, Member Price, and NonMember Price)
  • Each User has a list field called RSVPed Events. The items in this list are formatted as Name / Version / Price.

There will be times when the price needs to switch between Member Price and NonMember Price, so I have been using each item: find & replace. And it did work when I test it out with one item in RSVPed Events list. But when there are more than one event (or item) in the list, Price either goes blank or inputs the wrong price for the corresponding event in RSVPed Events.

Here’s what I believe needs to happen. For each User, identify RSVPed Events. For each item in RSVPed Events, extract Name from Name / Version / Price. Search for this extracted Name in the Name field of the Events data type, then find and use the correct price stated in Events for Name / Version / Price.

However, when I look at possible actions for each item, I don’t see something along the lines of each item: Do a search for. I thought about using join with or merged with, but they don’t seem to be what I need either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Are you saying “Name / Version / Price” is a string (a text)? If so, you’ve set this up incorrectly. While you have a Thing for Event, you should also have a Thing “RSVPed Events” instead of mashing up the Name, Version and Price into a single tring, these should Things. An RSVPed Event would have fields such as Event (type event), Version (a number? a string?) and Price (a number). Note that an RSVPed Event doesn’t necessarily need a Name as the RSVPed Event’s Event’s Name would be the same thing, but it might be helpful to elevate the name from the Event to the RSVPed Event, depending on the type of Searches you need to do in your app.

Doing things in this way will make your life much simpler (and you’ll be doing it the Bubble way).

Also, it’s easy to recover from this as you can just run some bulk workflows from the data tab to run through your User’s current “RSVPed Events” list of texts and create actual things with the right values on them and attach those to the User instead.

But each User has a different RSVPed Events.

Each User has a field called RSVPed Events. Ideally, this field would be a table, but I am limited to a list. That’s why I used the / to separate variables.

Yeah, you’d replace all of those with proper objects.

If I change RSVPed Events from a list field to a data type, then won’t every User get the same RSVPed Events?

No it’s still a list, it’s just a list of RSVPed Events instead of strings.

I don’t understand how I would set that up if RSVPed Events is a data type.

• Events data type includes all the events happening during the year.
  • Each user can select which ones of those to attend. Each user has a different list of events he will attend. RSVPed Events is this list. Wouldn’t I have to create 1 RSVPed Events data type for every single User? That means creating hundreds of RSVPed Events…

You know that string you’re storing now? It’s just a substitute for that. There is nothing conceptually difficult about this. Also it won’t take much time at all to convert those strings to Things and the Things won’t take up anymore space than what you’re storing now.

1 Like

So what you’re talking about is custom field, correct? I wish there is a longer explanation than the 1-minute Bubble video.

Someone might want to watch the crash course videos, methinks. Just a helpful tip.

Yes that is fine

Also just call the datatype “RSVP” cause @keith will explode if he sees one more plural datatype :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.