Effective ways to speed up Recursive workflows?

Hard to tell exactly what is going on in the screen shots as it is not clear the database structure you are using.

Looks like you have a User with a data field that is labeled ‘temp products’ which is a list of things. I can’t tell if that list of things is a related field to a data type in your database or if it is coming from the API call.

It is not easy to figure out the root cause because I am unsure of what the ‘pagination is complete’ means (is this the API call paginating in someway through it’s entire list and adding each list of items from each page into a single list of items on your User data type or are you taking one API call result list and triggering the recursive workflow at that time.

My approach would be, if I were to be paginating through API results in my backend workflows, to incorporate the paginating API calls in a recursive backend workfow which will trigger the other recursive backend workflow you laid out in your question. This way I avoid using the User data type to store a temporary list value and get straight to sending the API results list into a backend recursive workflow to save Create the Product (for use).

That would speed it up as it would avoid making changes to the User in step 2.

Or in the least, just send the temp products as a parameter list value on the backend workflow trigger and just operate on the parameter list for your recursive settings, and if you need to have the temp products data field on the User data type, then have two parameters as list values both on triggering receiving the same list and the one used for your recursive settings and the second to keep the list as it was when triggered so after the recursive actions are complete, you can run the action to make changes to the User and remove from the temp products the list in one action, instead of doing a single item from the list in each iteration of the recursive workflow.

Learn More

Boston85719 is an expert Bubbler with a decade experience as an educator. Real name Matthew, he has been actively building SaaS apps, marketplace apps, scheduling apps and more for clients, himself and for sale as templates.

As an official Bubble Bootcamp Instructor, he leads Bubble Bootcamps on a regular basis.

Always willing to offer advice via the Bubble Forum, Matthew also offers Private Personal and Group Training Sessions.

Through his site, NoCodeTrainer, Matthew provides a range of tutorials with editor access to help you jumpstart your Bubble development.

Always accessible you can send Matthew a private message via the forum or send an email directly with your requests.

Be sure to checkout the Stripe Integration Course when you are ready to integrate Stripe payments to start monetizing your application via product sales or subscriptions.

Stripe Integration Course

NoCodeTrainer.com