Efficient way to convert spreadsheet full of formulas to a chart

I’ve got a spreadsheet working which takes a few inputs from the user (registered & logged in) & spits out a pretty forecast for their finances until they retire.

Has anyone got tips on the most efficient way to get this kind of thing into database structure?

There are 47 years there & 5 “series” + I have a few other similar graphs that I need to build in so could very easily turn into a complex mess if I start off with the wrong building blocks!

I’m thinking 1 Data Type per year but that still leaves me with 47 data types + having to write out formulas hundreds of times. I don’t know too much about software engineering/dev but know that repetitive things like that aren’t best practice…

Hello @miketye welcome to the community!

Feed the series of values of the “data type” with the number value into a chart plugin.

The charting side of it I understand but its the huge amount of data types that I’m going to have to set up & maintain that doesn’t seem like its the best way to do things.

The numbers in the screenshot are formulas, dependant on what the user enters.

So for every user that uses the app, that one table & chart is going to have 235 pieces of data which I think will cause issues down the track. Particularly as I’ve actually got 4 or 5 of these tables/charts that I’d be wanting to display per user

Build a system that synthesizes the info. I mean doing recalcs that bring down the number of entries. Btw that number of entries should not be a problem if they do not have list fields inside them. With a well designed dB structure (light objects indirectly linked), Bubble can handle large number of entries well.

Also, explore @Thimo awesome chart Apex plugin. It has functionality that may make your charting easier with great aesthetics.

1 Like

I might set this up in such a way that there is a single data type that has fields on it such as year, inv prop, shares etc.

So a user creates an entry in the D.B. of this data type and it populates the fields accordingly, so a single user may have 47 entries (1 entry per year)…then the other fields which are all numbers based are able to be used within a chart as most ways of creating charts, either through a plugin or javascript would need the data points to be of the same type.

There is no reason to have 47 data types such as year 1, year 2 with fields for the numbers, just make the year a field itself.

Excellent method :+1:t2:

1 Like