Expanding on the very limited dynamic data for SEO descriptions

Hey @josh13

So recently Bubble has improved the SEO title and SEO description properties for pages, they’ve now enabled the ability to ‘Do a search for’ to find an object and do the normal things like filtering and merging searches. Anyhow, with this addition its now possible to use clean displaying URL’s and get data for SEO purposes. With that said, you’ll need to be on a paid plan (any e.g. Personal) for it to actual render in the page source.

I’ve setup a very quick demo here of how this works in principle and you can access the editor too:
Preview

Editor

So currently setting a page thing (type of content) will restrict the display URL, usually resulting in the unique ID that Bubble generates on entries. Using this method does give you direct access to the object for the SEO page data. This URL can be slightly adapted e.g. add fields of an object to be displayed at the end of the URL string, but you’ll still have the super long ID attached.

This method of getting the page path (or can be done with URL parameter and even segmented URL paths) will allow for clean URL’s that can be specified, but be sure these are unique in the search (no dup alias’s with the same string). They can be set to whatever your preference is, but be sure to also separate spaces with either ‘_’ or ‘-’ to avoid space corrections in URLs (unless you use the join operation).

The preview above won’t actually display the correct SEO title and description due to the app not being on a paid plan, but this should correctly render in practice.

Now in reality with 100s or 1,000s+ of entries within the DB doing a search across all these entries and filtering could be slow going (could also depend on the apps plan), so whether search engines wait for the request to complete I’m not too sure and would need to be tested at scale. You essentially have to do 2 single searches for the title and description. I’ve suggested to Bubble about also allowing to be able to select the objects on page (in this case it would be the main var object, like in the ‘Page title’ in screenshot), so you could actually refer straight to the data source, therefore just the single initial request is made, hopefully cutting time down for the data to render and pull in the data.

I’d suggest on the data objects to create 3 unique fields to cater for this method. 1 is the actual alias to refer to in the clean URL and the other 2 are text fields dedicated to the SEO title and description (rather than using other field data an manipulating e.g. trimmed, extract with regex).

So I think the answer is, yes you can utilise clean URLs now and pull in SEO data related to an object entry, however, with big data I’m not sure the implication this could have on search engines, something untested and depends on the data set being used for, the sole purpose e.g. blog

Hope this helps.

Luke.

4 Likes