Expose Data of backend workflow

Hello

I hope I can explain this clearly.

I’m working with Frame.io’s API. In my bubble app, I created a backend API workflow that uses Frame.io’s “Create a Project” call which I will schedule to happen at various points through the app.

I want to be able to reference the API’s responses, like the project’s “ID”, etc, but whenever I schedule this workflow and try to reference it dynamically, the only result is “Result of Scheduled Workflow” or something like that.

How can I reference the responses of an API call from a backend API workflow?

Thank you

This might help you find it. The clue is to access the results from the API call in the previous action step.

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

I know how to reference results in a previous actions step. My issue is that the results from the API do not appear. My only options are "Result from Step #(Schedule API Workflow).

I notice you have a “Run” action for Step 1. I dont see that option. Could that be it?

Thanks

The current workaround I’ve found for this is just to use the Create an Asset API call in the workflow directly, and in the scheduled workflow I can then grab the results of the last step’s ID for instance. And it worked.

However, I realized that the way I described in my original post is a blind spot in my No-Code abilities and its something I’d like to learn. So if you can point me in the right direction I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

When you create the API you explicitly say what it will return. The reason “Run” is prefixed is that this is an action (not data) API. For example

1 Like

Right.

So when I did that, and then on another page I attempted to schedule the workflow, I still could not reference the responses. It only works when I’m in the API workflow page, but when I schedule the workflow on an entirely separate page or reusable element, I still do not get the options.

I may be missing something.

Thank you

If you are using the API connector you need to initialise the call or re-initialise if the API changed… eg

If you are using the Bubble App Connector - you need to “refresh meta data”.

Ooooooh wow. I didnt know that.

So if you use the API connector to setup a call, and then create a backend API workflow using that call, you have to reinitialize the API call in order to reference its results?

Okay I’ll try that. Thanks a lot.

That did not seem to work. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

But thanks so much for replying. I’ll find a video online or something to help me understand it from the ground up sometime in the near future.

I’ll return to this thread if I happen to have anymore questions. Thanks for the help!

Funny thing @randreas … I am about to start a project that uses frame.io

Do you have any advice you would give me as someone just starting with frame.io?
Was your integration with frame.io successful in the end?

Hello

Thanks for reaching out. Yeah I believe I have a few good pointers. I learned a lot working with the plugin. I’ll try to keep my notes organized.

1. Frame.io’s API does not have a test version. Everything you do will be reflected in your live account. This can be a problem when testing the API because free accounts are limited to just 2 projects. Any more than 2 and your account will lock after 6 days. You wont even be able to enter your account to delete a project to stay on free. If you want to stay on the free plan, the best way to get around this is to initialize the “Delete a Project” call from your Bubble API connector. You’ll have to keep grabbing the project IDs from within Frame.io.

2. Frame.io has a particular structure for creating projects and assets. Basically, you need to have an Account > Team > Project > Asset. When you create these, store the IDs of each because you’ll need them to successfully initialize calls in a particular order. For example, you cannot initilize a “Create an Asset” call unless you have a Project ID to add it to, and you cant have a Project without a Team ID. Things like that are super helpful to know.

3. Another note, is that if you delete the asset, project, or team from within Frame.io, and try to reinitilize any of the calls using those keys from within Bubble, they will fail. You you need to have one test project that you never delete. This is only a problem if you want to remain on the free plan while building the integration or else you’ll be paying for something you wont be using immediately.

For right now, those are the big ones. They may seem simple but their documentation at the time did not specifically state certain things and I kept getting blindsided by some lacking capabilities of their API.

That said, I was able to successfully integrate it in a way that the client was satisified with.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thank you

1 Like