External RFID Scanner

Hi,
I am building a prototype and want to connect an external RFID scanner via bluetooth to a Bubble app. to collect RFID tag numbers. Has anyone managed this successfully either via API or using the scanner as an eternal keyboard, HID?
TIA, Joe

1 Like

Hi, RFID scanner - no. Barcode yes… BUT if the RFID scanner acts like a text input device then it will work with any app. For example if you connect the RFID scanner via USB or Bluetooth and then open Notepad – if the driver sends text to Notepad as a string your good. All you have to do is use a concealed (not hidden) Input field that the RFID can send the text to. Then look for a WHEN input value changes event.

Edit: Don’t forget to do a set focus to the input field before the scan.

John

2 Likes

Hi John, thanks for answer. The scanner does drop the number into notepad so should hopefully work alright. I have had issues with it missing a few digits when it bluetooths as a text input device but I am presuming that is a scanner/bluetooth version issue that will not be an issue on other scanners.

1 Like

Hey Joe, I’m just starting to look into Barcode vs. RFID for camera equipment inventory purposes. I’d love to pick your brain / learn what you’ve discovered works and what doesn’t. Thanks!

Hi Greg, I haven’t built anything in Bubble yet however my experience with MS Powerapps was that a barcode scanner is very easy to implement using the phone’s inbuilt camera however connecting to an external RFID scanner via bluetooth was not as reliable. I wasn’t using a specific API for the scanner though. The bluetooth spec. of the scanner may also have influenced the poor outcome. I’ll post if I can crack it with Bubble!