[Feature Request] Multi-Image: Compress Before Upload

Bubble,

Please add a way to compress (or resize) image before upload on the Multi-File Uploader - Dropzone.

Uploading multiple, full size, images from your phone is way too slow. Especially in low service areas.

I’m forced to use the single image uploader since it lets me limit image size before upload.

bubble users: Please comment and like if you agree. We need this on bubble’s radar.

8 Likes

Yes, it’s very limiting.

This scope would be ideal:
Multi img upload

• Re-scale img to a specific resolution or scale multiple
1 Like

The Easycode-created plugin that the OP is obviously familiar with based on other posts seems like it solves this problem entirely fine (and I’ve looked at the code - it’s solid for the most part) and it’s pretty inexpensive. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ll consider adding this to Better Uploader

@brad.h btw Better Uploader already lets you limit file size

3 Likes

@keith, @jonah.deleseleuc, @eddie.sellers.jr thanks for commenting. Hopefully we get bubbles attention.

Multi-image upload is core to so many apps. Bubble even shipped a masonry image feature to display multi-images. Yet, there’s no way to multi-image upload from mobile.

I looked at all plugins and tested many. After dissapintment here, I realized it’s in bubble’s best interest to take care of this.

The responsive engine took everything to the next level. But we still have dropzone’s 2014 code. (see dropzone’s 2022 uploader here). And it’s unusable from mobile.

In Summary:

With bubble’s responsive engine you can display images like this:

But to upload them, you have to use this:
Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 11.59.10

and you can’t upload from mobile, so please only use desktop.

1 Like

There’s features missing

I’m confused exactly what features you’re looking for. Sometimes you say you are looking for image compression, and sometimes you say you are looking for limiting the file size. If you are looking for the latter, there’s several plugins that let you upload multiple files at once & limit the file size.

If you want to upload multiple files AND compress images AND limit file size at the same time, then as far as I am aware, there isn’t something that does all three.

My plugin can limit file size per file + allows multi file uploading, but it lacks the third. If you’d like that feature, you should request it on my forum post.

2 Likes

Good question! I’m looking for faster uploads.

This can be accomplished in two ways:

1. Limit image size before upload.
  2. Compress image before upload.

Both options upload a smaller version of the original image. This makes uploading much faster. Either option would be fine with me.

Bubble’s single picture uploader let’s you limit image size before upload. If your image is 2,800x2,800 pixels they shrink it to 800x600 before upload, which makes the file size roughly 20x smaller and uploading is way faster. But you still get the image.

I think when you say “limit file size” - the uploader will reject files that are too big. That’s not what I’m looking for.

I want the image uploaded no matter what. But a smaller version of the image to improve upload speed.

Does this answer the question?

1 Like

It would be great to have a feature that compresses files on a multiple-file upload.

2 Likes

You can upvote this feature here: https://bubble.io/ideaboard?idea=1670613560825x212082919229095940

Ezcode has a plugin and it works fine. Single or multiple images. Has all kinds of very handy features.

You can now compress jpeg, png, webp, and bmp images with Better Uploader + Cloud Companion. When running the Compress Image(s) action, simply set a Maximum Size (MB) and Maximum Width (Resolution) to reduce the size of the images before sending to the server.

Instructions

1. Install Better Uploader (free plugin) & Install Cloud Companion (5$)

2. Select some files inside of a Better Uploader

3. Run the Compress Image(s) action. You’ll need to provide a maxium size (in MB) and a maximum width (resolution). The lower the width, the lower the resolution. It is recommended to use one of the following: 3840(2160p), 1920 (1080p), 1280(720p), 720(480p).

4. Once the file(s) have been compressed, the Image Compression Process is Complete event is fired. Run the subsequent workflow actions there (notably Better Uploader’s send file(s) to cloud action

2 Likes