Force date modified to update

I have two data types that I want to create an interaction with:

• List
  • Item
    [edit: this is clarified later - there is a SavedItem type as well]

When a user adds an item that is associated with a list, I would like to force the list type to update the date modified field. So far, the only way it seems to work is if I make a date column and write a date to it. Even though I don’t want to use that field, it triggers the auto-update to adjust the field I want.

Is there a way to do this without adding a field to the data type?

Hi there, @insightrade… when you say an item is associated with a list, I assume (given the context from the rest of your post) that the Item data type has a field that is tied to the List data type. So, an association is made between an item and list by way of that field, but you want the Modified Date field of a list to update any time that list is associated with an item. Do I have any/all of that correct? If I do, one thing that comes to mind is the idea of making the association between items and a list by having a field on the List data type that is a list of items. I’m sure you can see where I’m going here, but when you would add an item to the list of items field on a list, the Modified Date of the list would get updated.

All of that being said, have you already considered that path and decided not to go down it for some reason? To the best of my knowledge, you will have to update something on the list in order for the Modified Date to get updated, so I think you will have to have some kind of “dummy” field to update or you could use the list field I described.

Anyway, sorry if I totally missed the mark here, but I hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

Hi there, @insightrade… when you say an item is associated with a list, I assume (given the context from the rest of your post) that the Item data type has a field that is tied to the List data type.

Actually, I do need to better explain. The items in my example need information stored about the event when I save them. It would have been better to call them SavedItem. This is a small list, lets say the user builds 10 SavedItems from a list of 1000 Items. That is why I didn’t use the multiple item relationship inside of the Lists. Each item has a singular relationship back to a parent list, and I store information about that event on save.

When an item is created, the next step in the workflow I am trying to lookup the parent list and update the Modified Date. There appears to be no way to trigger that without writing lets say an arbitrary text string to an additional (and otherwise unused field in the data type) to force it to update. That is what I plan to do as it will work. However, when I find places like this, I just like to double check there isn’t a better approach

Maybe someone will come along and educate both of us, but to the best of my knowledge, what you have described is what you would need to do.

I thought this over and found my way to a solution, which was what you described in your first response.

It actually does two things. The date modified auto updates & it is helping me write display queries related to this content.

I have never tracked a relationship in 2 places, but it somehow seems to work in this case.

1 Like