Hey all I really badly need some help here…
We have an app on the Google Play store that has been removed due to some background location permissions that I don’t believe we even use.
I’ll post the email below, I really need to get this app back up for the customer but I have no idea where the issue could be. We don’t request the permission nor do we use background location.
Any ideas or similar stories would be of help.
Thank you for your patience.
Due to adjusted work schedules at this time, we are currently experiencing longer than usual process times and we appreciate your understanding.
I see you have previously received email with ticket number (7-3806000031609) regarding the issue with your app.
Status: App SafeTrip (com.safetripapp.safetripapp)not available on Google Play
I’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app still violates Google Play Policy. I’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to get your app back on Google Play.
Step 1: Review the policy violation with your app
We found that your app is not compliant with the Location Permissions policy, or we were unable to review and verify your in-app experience for compliance with this policy.
If you do not need a feature that requests access to location in the background, please remove the permission from the app manifest as well as related source code for all APKs across all tracks (including internal test, closed, open tracks). Review the background location access checklist to identify any potential access in your code.
If you have determined that your app does not require location in the background or if you believe your app no longer accesses location in the background, complete the following steps to ensure compliance:
- Ensure that the ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION permission has been removed from your app APK or app bundle.
- If you are using ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION or ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION, examine your code paths and ensure usage is restricted to foreground purposes only (learn more)
- If you previously had any non-compliant APKs accessing background location, make sure the non-compliant versions are not in any of your current releases, even if you do not use certain tracks.
- Go to Release > App bundle explorer page to check whether a certain version is active
- When submitting a new APK to supersede the previous, non-compliant APK, please make sure the non-compliant app bundles or APKs are under the Not included section before rolling out the new release.
- For further guidance, please see the “Not included (app bundles and APKs)” section in this Play Console Help article.
- Please ensure that any new, compliant release is rolled out to 100% and completely deactivates non-compliant APKs.
If you are still facing issues after examining your code paths and restricting usage to foreground purposes only, please review any third party SDKs used in the app that may be accessing location in the background.
For additional help, you can review the following resources:
- Location permissions - Developer Policy Center
- Requesting access to background location - Play Console Help
- Evaluate background location access & Background location access checklist - Documentation for app developers
- Google Play PolicyBytes on YouTube
Please update your app to fix this issue. You may also want to double check that your app complies with all other Developer Program Policies.
Step 2: Submit a compliant update or remove permissions
- Make the necessary updates to address the issue(s) identified above.
- To continue using location in the background, submit or update your Developer Permission Declaration along with a compliant version of your app in the Play Console for approval.
- If your app is not eligible to access location in the background or does not meet requirements for accessing location in the background, please remove the permission from your manifest and in-app functionality.
- Double check that your app is compliant with all other Developer Program Policies
- Sign in to your Play Console and submit the update to your app.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. We thank you again for your patience while we reviewed your issue.
The Google Play Team
Please visit the Google Play Developer Policy Center and Google Play’s Academy for App Success to learn more about building policy compliant and high quality apps. You can also visit the Android Developers Blog for the latest Android and Google Play news for app and game developers.