Group lists of items by field and display a list of lists

I have a list of trips from users. Each trip has a location, date range, and user.

I’d like to group the trips by city, and display a list of cities, each with a list of trips under each city:

• Portland
    • Brenner: August 1st - August 7th
    • Logan: August 2nd - August 8th
  • Seattle
    • Anna: August 1st - August 7th
    • Don: August 8 - August 10th

I first make a RG of Trips and :group by city. This returns a Grouping.

The :group by docs say:

The output of doing a “:group by” operation on a list is a new list.

My first question: Why does this return a list of Groupings, and force me to make the type of content a Grouping, instead of a Trip?

For each cell, I would think the value of the current cell would be a list of Trips, not Groupings.

I put another RG in a single cell of the first RG, and when I go to access the Current Cell’s item, it’s a Grouping, not a list Trips, or even a list of Groupings. Why is it returning a single Grouping instead of a list of Groupings? And even then, I can only access the field by which I did the :group by from the Grouping, as opposed to all the fields I’d be able to access if it was returning a Trip?

What am I doing wrong?

Note: “city and state” is the official name of the field that I’m grouping by, I referred to it as just “city” for simplicity’s sake

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.46.43 PM

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.47.36 PM

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.46.55 PM

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.47.41 PM

Found the solution:

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.31.29 PM Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.31.40 PM

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.