How do you test recurring workflows without waiting?

When using Set/cancel a recurring workflow, it seems that for the workflow to actually run, you must wait the full time “frequency” that was set, e.g. a month or a day.

For testing purposes, this is clearly not great, I can’t wait a month, or even a day, to see if what I’m building is working as expected. Is there a way to manually fire the workflow immediately when on a non-live version, for testing?

Additionally, is there anywhere in the settings or logs where I can see a list of scheduled recurring workflows, similar to in the Logs > Scheduler tab where I can see workflows that are currently scheduled?

Hi there, @brenton.strine… you could consider duplicating the workflow on a button or icon, and then just click the button/icon to test. It ain’t rocket science, but it would work, and I don’t really know of another way to go here.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

I did consider that but it creates the potential for the test to be different than production…

I suppose I could set up the recurring workflow to ONLY trigger a single workflow, and then also trigger that workflow when I want to for testing.

Why would the test be different than production? If the workflow works, it works… whether or not it is recurring shouldn’t have an effect, unless I just don’t understand what you mean.

1 Like

Perhaps I misunderstood you. I thought you meant to copy/paste the steps from inside the recurring workflow into a different workflow.

In that case, if a change or bug happened in one copy, it would not automatically happen in the other. So they could be different.

But maybe you were suggesting having the recurring workflow ONLY schedule a single API Workflow. And then calling that same API workflow from elsewhere. In that case they would of course be identical.

Well, in my mind, I was taking the recurrence factor out of the equation altogether by duplicating (copying/pasting) the workflow, and I didn’t necessarily consider having to keep the two workflows in sync because I figured the main workflow would almost never change and it is really more about being able to test the workflow at will.

1 Like

Yea do that then they are in sync

1 Like

+1 Solution for me. Soon I will surpass you

1 Like

Lol, I was just marking the one that I thought would most quickly and clearly explain the solution to people in the future!

2 Likes

Create a log data type. When it runs log it. On the data you created/changed also add a “last recurring run” date field so you can track on the data itself. Just for tests

1 Like

this is actually a deprecated feature, the daily/monthly workflows

just create your own api workflow with a variable called user, passing on the user.
and schedule it in X days/weeks.
and have it schedule itself again in X days/weeks (only possible since 3 years)

to test it, schedule it in 1 minute instead of Current date time + 1 day or 1 week.
use your own datatype called Log to save and view what was created and when.

1 Like

It is interesting that you mention that, @TipLister. I didn’t know it was actually deprecated, but I have literally never used it because I have always done exactly what you described.

1 Like

i only found out 1 year ago and was like ohhhh, that makes sense.

just much more flexible when you can tell the api workflow when to schedule itself

ofc the “run weekly” will still work.

1 Like

Oh wow, I had no idea! It doesn’t say it’s deprecated anywhere in the app! (@bubble maybe this feature should be marked as such somewhere?)

Using recursive workflows actually makes a lot more sense, now that I think of it! For some reason I had it in my head that the “right” way to do this was a recurring workflow.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.