How retrieve uniqueID from List of Text in a Repeating Group?

I have a repeating group that displays a List of Texts in it. That works fine.

When I click on one of the items in the list, I need to capture the uniqueID that correlates to that item from the database. I have done this before when my RG is displaying any other types of data from my database.

But since this RG is displaying data from a List of Texts I cannot see any of the typical field options to capture when I do a search for what is clicked on. I can only get the index of the item clicked, or just the text of the item clicked.

I’ll give an example: Imagine a data type called “People” and each row in that table consists of information about a single person. One field is called “nicknames” and that is a List of Texts.

So for example, “Dave” has one nickname called “The Dude”. On another line there’s Jim who has 2 nicknames “Biff and Poof”. Finally another line is Mike who has 3 nicknames, “waffle, flash, red”

My RG successfully lists all of the nicknames, one per line for a total of 6 nicknames. When I click on the nickname in the RG I need to capture the uniqueID number from the row in the database it comes from so I can determine whose real name corresponds to that nickname.

All I can display is the “Current cell’s text” but I can’t get at any of the other attributes of that data type… only the actual text of the nickname. Is there a way to find out the uniqueID so that when I click on “waffle” or “flash” it shows me that they both belong to Mike for example.

Any advice on this?

Thanks,
Dan

When you set an rg’s source to be texts and expect the current cell of a thing to show in the rg row’s box editor … I do not see it happening. The rg’s data source is texts … not any one thing of the dB.

Did I get right what you are trying to do?

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps you have a perspective on how to accomplish what I’m thinking of doing.

Referring to my nickname example, I need to display these nicknames in a list BUT be able to click on them and discern whose real name goes with the nickname that was just clicked on. The nickname field in my database type is a List of Texts. So I basically need to show the nicknames of everyone in the database, and by clicking on it call out the uniqueID of the individual to whose nickname I clicked on.

I have done this very exact thing creating a RG of some other data from my data type that’s NOT a List of Text, and clicking on it and getting information from any other field from the person I clicked on. But the List of Texts is proving tricky because each person could have numerous nicknames.

I’m open to any and all clever ideas or hacks to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey @underhill.dan
I don’t know that I’m fully understanding what you’re trying without some screen shots…but Is this close to what you’re doing?

Buck

1 Like

@underhill.dan

As @buckman insightful video suggests (great job!) you can consider having a nickname thing in your dB (instead of it as a text) … this way you can get its unique id and any other metadata that you deem necessary

At minimum just add a field text called “title” to the nickname thing (data type) where you can detail the actual spelled-out nickname and look it up in flows, element conditionals, searches.

Thanks for the great video. The reason I chose to make the “nicknames” field a List of Texts is because any single name could have a list of nicknames and I wanted them all in the same Type row because I thought it would be easy to keep all the information in one row.

If I make the nicknames field anything other than a List of Texts I cannot then store multiple names in there, as far as I’m aware.

Can you show me a screen capture of your data structure of the Data Type in your example?

This is your problem.

Make the field Nicknames be a list of a Nicknames as new type of data.

Nickname would then contain one field, which is a text, and another which is the “parent” with the type of People.

Then your list is a list of Nicknames and you can link to the People thing from there.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel, I’m somewhat familiar with the technique and I’ll try playing with that. Can you give me a screen shot of what that type of Data Type structure would look like?

Hi Nigel, is the attached screenshots correctly depicting the structure you describe accurately?

That should work fine. That is in essence what I have, except I’m just storing the unique ID instead of having a field of type People…but behind the scenes, it’s likely doing the same thing. Now, just attach you “nicknames” thing to your people thing as a subquery as I explain in the video and you should be good.

1 Like