Introducing free Google Calendar Plugin, keeps user's calendar connected

Hi guys,

Here’s a newly released plugin to connect bubble with Google Calendar the same way you could with other paid plugins but this one is free and keeps your users calendar connected so they don’t need to login and grant consent again.

Hope you guys find this helpful!

Cheers!
Evan

9 Likes

Hey @boston85719 you might be interested in this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is so awesome! Thank you!! I have been working on a Calendly clone and this will be perfect I hope. I see I can get and send events to and from google cal as well as delete. Does this allow for updating events on google cal? Or would I have to delete and create an event at a different date/time?

2 Likes

Glad you’re excited about this! I just published a new version of the plugin which includes an action to update a calendar event

4 Likes

I believe you need to refresh the token for the connection to stay alive with Google. I’m failing to see how the Plugin refreshes the token for the customer?

Hopefully you can shed some light on this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Its setup using Bubble’s oauth2 process and Google “offline access” to obtain the refresh token. Bubble automatically refreshes this token when using oauth2 with their API connector. I initially set this up manually and wrote a manual api workflow to refresh the token every 50 minutes and that method proved unreliable so I built this plugin to as an alernative for our project

4 Likes

Hey @evanlitttle , So i’ve added this to my app. i have added my key and secret. when I test the API in the plugin editor preview page to see the calls, this directs me to a login page. but when I try this as a data call, I get nothing. no redirects or errors.

do you have a basic example of how to get this setup. i feel like I’m missing something basic here.

which came from here

and i have used the api in workflow to send data to a group unsuccessfully. as a RG data source unsuccessfully. not sure what i’m doing wrong here but i never get redirected to a login flow

[update]
when I try to use the create event action, this does at least produce an error that I am not authenticated. not when I try to list events though. nothing happens for that action

[face in hands update]
i found the login action…

2 Likes

This is cool @evanlitttle

I actually just finished up a template that uses Google Calendar offline access to enable meetings with multiple users to be created using only available time slots that are generated based on the desired earliest and latest start dates and times for the meeting to take place.

1 Like

HI @evanlitttle

The plugin for me works about 1 hour and start giving this error

The service Google Calendar - List My Calendar Events just returned an error (HTTP 401). Please contact the plugin author directly for feedback. Raw error:

{
  "error": {
    "code": 401,
    "message": "Request had invalid authentication credentials. Expected OAuth 2 access token, login cookie or other valid authentication credential. See https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web/devconsole-project.",
    "errors": [
      {
        "message": "Invalid Credentials",
        "domain": "global",
        "reason": "authError",
        "location": "Authorization",
        "locationType": "header"
      }
    ],
    "status": "UNAUTHENTICATED"
  }
}

Any idea ?

1 Like

This plugin looks perfect for my use case! will need to try it out soon

What I have to do when this happens is log out and reauthenticate. For some reason bubble doesn’t like refreshing tokens as much as I reload or something. I experience the same from time to time but not always. Still trying to figure out what keeps the connection alive or if I can increase the expiry time.

@eve Can you shed some light on how tokens are renewed using Bubble’s built in OAuth2 flow? It would be useful if we could reference the signin/signup workflow and store the refresh token.

1 Like

one thing i have noticed is if you click this
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 12.31.01 PM
you can receive something like this but it’s not useful as it causes an error

That’s correct, it does give an error.

This is great! Thank you for putting this together. Is there anyway to automatically add a google hangout to the calendar invite that is created?

1 Like

I just want users to be able to have appointments created or booked to be easily ‘shared’ to google calendar if a user chooses to do so. Do people still recommend this free plugin for a booking style app with time slots? Are there too many unresolved minor gripes/issues/annoyances from this plugin?

looks like @evanlitttle is not active anymore on this thread & perhaps even Bubble. So I’m wary to use this plugin. Any insight appreciated from @jared.gibb or @boston85719

Feel free to look into the full calendar scheduled suite plugin

It’s got these setup so you can maintain the access token alive via “refresh token” workflows

Hey @evanlitttle

I’m not getting any errors, but it’s also not creating the event in my google calendar.

I registered my app on google, created a 0auth, put in my 0auth client ID + app secret, and created the action “Google Calendar - Create Calendar Invite” setting the attendee to be my email address for testing… but nothing is happening.

Hi! Tell me please, you can do it now? I need it too asap

I am using the google calendar plugin and I need the location field from the Google JSON response. I can not find it.