Is Native to iOS ready?

No it’s not, we’re still in early beta there, which means we can send you a package you can upload to phonegap build and get a native build (or experiment on your own), but as we’re in early beta, there are some stuff that won’t work, and we can’t provide too much support on native stuff yet.

3 Likes

Hey there @cmilian,

Feel free to check out our Bubble iOS Development course. You’ll learn how to create an iOS app before you know it! Use the code bubble-forum to get 20% off!

Understandable, jquery is not ready for beautiful content to mobile. I am rooting for you.

Nate, is the course making a clean gettaway to iOS or is there a lot of loss of features and gui?

Most features work. A couple that don’t:

-Search box (You can use an input+repeating group as a sort of workaround)
-Facebook login

You’ll be able to build a simple restaurant finding app, along with an Instagram app.

1 Like

Sorry, late to this one. But I found that the search box works if you adjust the index.css file within www’s css folder.

I adjusted as shown below, although beware, tinkering might mean the support options for you may be reduced

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 * distributed with this work for additional information
 * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
 * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
 * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
 * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
 * KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
 * specific language governing permissions and limitations
 * under the License.
 */

body {
    /* -webkit-touch-callout: none;                prevent callout to copy image, etc when tap to hold */
    -webkit-text-size-adjust: none;             /* prevent webkit from resizing text to fit */
    -webkit-user-select: none;                  /* prevent copy paste, to allow, change 'none' to 'text' */
    background: none rgb(250, 250, 250);
    background-attachment:fixed;
    font-family:'HelveticaNeue-Light', 'HelveticaNeue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
    font-size:15px;
    height:100%;
    margin:0px;
    padding:0px;
    width:100%;
}

/* Portrait layout (default) */

/* Landscape layout (with min-width) */
@media screen and (min-aspect-ratio: 1/1) and (min-width:400px) {
}

h1 {
    font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
	font-size: 24px;
	font-style: normal;
	font-variant: normal;
	font-weight:900;
	line-height: 26.4px;
}

.event {
    border-radius:4px;
    -webkit-border-radius:4px;
	color:rgb(22, 44, 84);
    font-size:22px;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}

.event.listening {
    background-color:rgba(250,250,250,.95);
    display:block;
    margin-top:35px;
}

.event.received {
    display:none;
}

@keyframes fade {
    from { opacity: 1.0; }
    50% { opacity: 0.4; }
    to { opacity: 1.0; }
}

@-webkit-keyframes fade {
    from { opacity: 1.0; }
    50% { opacity: 0.4; }
    to { opacity: 1.0; }
}

.blink {
    animation:fade 3000ms infinite;
    -webkit-animation:fade 3000ms infinite;
}
2 Likes

Great find! I’ll have to try this out as well when I get in front of a computer.

It would be useful to have the most general, non-committed sense of your target time to completion. I’m assuming it’s a matter of months, but is that Spring, Summer, Fall, 2018? And are there plans to go Android too? I heard some people use those phones.

I’m just two days into my Bubble experience, but I’m liking it a lot so far. In another post, I expressed a wish for some tech notes, like on how relationships work behind the scenes, whether searching, traversing or lists are most efficient, and some details on binding (what happens in a group/page/element?)

Hi Nate,

I wonder if you are aware of apps deployed to ios and android using your approach.

Is there much limit to the scope of app that’s possible?

Thanks,
mark

Hey @matchen,

Yes, quite a few apps have deployed to both App Stores after taking the lessons. I think if you search the forum, some users have even announced them on here.

There are some limitations, but you can definitely build a functional mobile app. iOS is pretty straightforward, but Android can be a bit of a pain to debug if you hit some issues.

Android is definitely tougher, because unlike iPhones, which all tend to be similar, there are so many different type of Android phones.

I’m in the process of building a new iOS app in Bubble for my company, Qoins. If you’d like to take a look when it’s done, I’d be happy to show it to you.

I tried to buy the course but didn’t have the opportunity to use the bubble-forum coupon.

Hey @scottb50,

That code is an older one, from when the courses were subscription based, instead of single-purchase. Unfortunately, I’m currently unable to edit the post to remove it.

Shoot an email to support@codelessacademy.com or PM me.

Checking in when Native to iOS might be ready. Any insights or timelines would be appreciated. Thanks!

it’s ready … double click on your page and check this page is a native app and start building !

1 Like

Let’s be clear, this is NOT a native app. Any app created using the Bubble frontend is going to be a web-application in a webview wrapper. You can use Bubble as the backend for native apps built in Swift or Java, or another tool like Dropsource, but using the Bubble editor for visuals will not result in a native application.

1 Like

And how can I publish it to the app store once it is ready? I have the developer account set up and ready to go. Tried thunkable.io as a web wrapper but the app does not build. Android has been a breeze with it and the app is already life. All I am missing is iOS.

Hi @rico,

did you manage a solution for ios?

cheers,
Ben

Yes, I used webview gold and a friend helped me getting it ready.

1 Like

thanks @rico,

good to hear you had success, am setting up with webview gold now! have had success with android, hopefully have no issues with ios!

cheers,
Ben

iOS ist tricky, they are hard to approve but if the app fulfills the criteria it should be ok.

1 Like