LESS THAN 2 SECONDS to LOAD > POSSIBLE?

I HAVE TO BE SO SURE THAT IT WILL TAKE LESS THAN 2 SECONDS TO LOAD PAGES. (I’ll do my best to make data efficient)

CAN WE BE SURE AT THIS???

1 Like

Not really because the speed of a page loading could depend on the user’s internet connection.

@song52114 I’m sure one of the admins will step in and tell you the same thing, but just in case they don’t - please don’t use all caps in your forum posts. Thanks.

6 Likes

If in same internet connection, how much more does it take comparing to app made with traditional coding?

You will have to do that testing for yourself, but my site personally, all the DOM Content Loads in about 1.38 s. You will just have to test it out by making a bubble app, and making a identical coded website.

Hello,

For being an actual fullstack web developper and also a Bubble proficient addict who also would like pages to load much more quickly on Bubble, in my opinion, this cannot be done “universally” by Bubble to work on all apps, because this would require the creation of what we call “indexes” in databases that have to be done specifically for the app-specific requests that are done most of the time loading pages. So that’s why we requested this feature to the Bubble Support. They replied to us that they might implement it, but that would be probably good if other people ask for it, the reason which I am posting here.

Just for more explanations, here is the feature request we sent:

"Dear Bubble support,

We would like to know if there would be away to create indices on some fields of our database (like CREATE INDEX on Postgres) to fasten some queries that are used all the times on our app/website.

Because we have some very simple queries which are extensively long, on a small amount of data, so we are really worried about the future, and this is not sufficient at all to be ranked correctly in Google or just for our users to wait for a page to load.

Besides, we think this would be a SUPER COOL KILLKING FEATURE for Bubble, because creating indexes on a database is a basic practice of any developper, and this HAS TO BE done in Bubble as well if we want to get correct db queries response time. I cannot see how it could be automated from your part, because you cannot guess the best index to create, and you probably don’t currently, so that’s why we contact you for help and support.

Looking forward to hearing from you"

5 Likes

Thanks for your smart solution. How can we make Bubble to hear from us…I sent an email, but I don’t think it’s enough. What can be done?

1 Like

I was under the impression that Bubble already did this…
Can you follow up, when you hear back from them?

For example, if a Bubble user creates a search (for a repeating group) that says:
Do a search for Automotive
type = car

Bubble creates an index dynamically, so that the index only has 2 columns

• Automotive
  • Type

Whereas in the users actual Bubble Editor the “Automotive” data type might have several fields (type, year, color etc).

What you describe would be exactly what to do !

But honestly I really doubt that this is actually done… given the time that some very basic queries give on our app…

How do you know this is done ? I would be very interested :slight_smile:

I will post about the reply from Bubble here when it happens as well

I’ve seen mentions of it on the form, from some veteran/long-term Bubblers. Possibly even from someone on the Bubble team…?

Ya, I could see how it would be a pretty resource intensive action; for Bubble to be dynamically generating (many!) indexes.

It’s possible that there is a threshold, before Bubble decides to generate a custom index for an app.
Such as: what plan is the Bubble user subscribed to?
and - how many database items are they searching through?

I wouldn’t blame them if they decided not to build custom indexes on low level app plans, or on apps that only have 10 items to search through for example.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how they respond. They definitely know the value of creating optimized indexes.

I assume you have taken the effort to try and optimize your own queries as effieciently as possible. The only other thing I can think of, is that for any apps on the shared cluster - search performance is just inherently going to be slower. I am confident that they are optimizing. They’re definitely aware of these scenarios

Bubble discusses indexing in its Manual, below. But yes, a better understanding on when this does / does not get done would be helpful info. Also, having the ability to force the creation of an index to see if it speeds a slow search would be a nice feature.

The first few times you run a particularly heavy search might be a bit slower than future runs, because after Bubble sees a heavy query run a few times, Bubble builds an index that should massively speed up the search in the future (building the index could take up to an hour or so)

https://manual.bubble.io/architecture-optimization-and-limits-of-the-bubble-engine/performance-and-scaling#performance-and-scaling

2 Likes