Lock the Element Inspector to the side of the canvas

In my experience, the Element Inspector is constantly in my way.
So most of the time I move it to the blank space on the canvas. I like to propose to have an option to lock the inspector to the side of the canvas. It also is a better use of my screen real estate as you can see in my examples.

13 Likes

I support the idea of a docked inspector. It does get in the way a lot having to move it around. For smaller screens though, it would need to collapse somehow. When I work on a 15 inch laptop, I don’t often have that much empty white space you have in your screenshots. Yes, I can zoom out, but if I want to view at 100% or greater, it would overlap stuff.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree that it is useful if you can undock the inspector when you work on smaller screens.

1 Like

Agree

@mike_verbruggen Thanks for the feedback. Our engineering team will review this request.

4 Likes

We just added that. You’ll find an option in the Grid & borders menu. Note that this only applies in the design tab.

Happy designing!

16 Likes

That’s a nice quick turnaround!

I guess from a UX perspective it would make sense to enable this on the element to dock instead of a menu item in the Grid&Borders menu but I understand the decision here.

The only thing for me is that it doesn’t really work. When you navigate to a new page or reload the page, the element is undocked while it still shows as checked.

Well, it’s a quick reaction. But my problem isn’t fixed. I made a video to explain it a bit.

1 Like

I agree with Mike here, the page needs to be centered in what real estate is left. While the property editor is it’s own full-length column. This is what my editor looks like.

@emmanuel I dont like this change, every time i reload my app, i have to lock the inspector then unlock it to have scroll. It was fine the way it was.

Im using an 11"!! macbook air. Can you change it back. this is so annoying.

Great to have the option to lock the element inspector! Found another issue however:

We fixed this issue.

3 Likes

Much better! Thanks @emmanuel and team!

Great improvement to the editor that will make life so much better for us all. Thanks @mike_verbruggen for voicing the suggestion and @neerja and @emmanuel for making it happen.

1 Like

Yeah, I noted the same thing this morning in another post. I do like the improvement just made with regard to more efficient space utilization, but it really doesn’t make sense (and is less convenient) being accessible from the “Grid & borders” menu. I still think that a pinned icon would be a further improvement. Perhaps it could be like the comments icon - i.e. hollow when inactive and solid when active.

Regardless, thanks for this feature.

Additionally, when “pinned” (locked), it can’t be closed, which makes no sense to me. The “X” is still there in the upper right corner, but it’s nonfunctional. Why?

Good catch, fixed it

1 Like

Thanks, @emmanuel!

Not to beat this feature to death, but I’m wondering if it would be possible to separate the palette’s “locked” status from its “visibility”. In other words, I’d like to be able to close the palette when it’s locked to the side of the canvas (in order to regain full screen real estate), but to have it remember the “locked” setting when it reopens.

Currently, the only way to close the palette when it’s locked is to “unlock” it. :neutral_face:

1 Like

@emmanuel I would like to thank you for the quick implementation of this request. I did not expect that.

So thanks for the surprise!

The ability to lock the element inspector is proving to be really handy, getting use to its placement on the right now.

One thing I’ve run into though is when using multiple conditions on an element, as the list grows, the height becomes squashed on the last condition, I’m forced to use a limited view of the available expressions or move the condition up and back down again to fully assess.

Would it be possible @emmanuel to create some extra spacing at bottom e.g. when the ‘Select a prperty to change when true’ is clicked and the dialog is open?

Cheers

4 Likes