Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Losing data in a Thing when data item is updated in a workflow

Hi, anyone encounter this issue before?

If I have a User type with AgeRange (text) and Name (text), and I update AgeRange using “Make changers to a Thing” in a workflow, I lose the Name data associated with the User until I refresh the page.

i.e. if I have a button whose visibility is conditional on a valid “Name”, the missing data means the button becomes visible unexpectedly.

Is there a way to make sure data items associated with a Thing are not “blanked out” when one of the data items is being updated in a workflow?

Thanks.

The only solution seems only to refresh the page after updating a dataitem in the User type. All the data items I created for User type are then populated in the same session again.

Seems to be a bug for data items associated with Current User to be blanked out once any of the data items are updated in a workflow. Only the following system created data items have persistency in the session.

“is logged in”
“email”
“email confirmed”

Data items label to the right
yes : User name set
yes : User logged in
yes : User emailed confirmed
1 : Usertype
Monkey : Username

After making “changes to a Thing” in a workflow for Current User (updating the Username), if I don’t refresh the page I see

Data items label to the right
yes : User name set
yes : User logged in
yes : User emailed confirmed
: Usertype
: Username

Where the data items I created are all blanked out. Which means the conditional formatting on Username data item containing valid values will fail and something becomes visible unexpectedly on the screen.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks.

I’ve narrowed it down to Data Privacy settings for the database.

I’ve made some of the fields not viewable by certain User types. And the data in those fields “disappear” from view whenever a datafield is updated.

When a User can “View all fields”, can he view the data fields for other users? If yes, how can I restrict his viewing privileges for datafields belonging to other users while ensuring he can always see data for himself?

Keep on going. You almost got it. :wink:

Would appreciate some help if you know what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

I should’ve waited with my reply hehe :frowning: you were doing well narrowing it down on your own. IMO it’s good to try to come to conclusions by own means before posting for help. You did somewhat the opposite but then analyzed your way to the issue (which is the basic functionality of the privacy tab in bubble). I think it’s good.

The basic setting in bubble is that all is visible.

When a User can “View all fields”, can he view the data fields for other users?

correct.

how can I restrict his viewing privileges for datafields belonging to other users while ensuring he can always see data for himself?

By defining rules for logged in users / all other users:

below you can define what fields are visible to what type of user. Thus, your topic is not a bug.
Hope that helps a bit.

Debugging my own bugs in bubble is a lot of guesswork and effort.

Thanks!

hehe. See it part of the learning I guess.

You managed to solve your case?