Making a sub-repeating group?

Hi there,

I’m currently working on an internal debt collection software. Logged in users can walk through a form to add a case. We bind all of the form data to a “Case” data type, and display it in a repeating group in the dashboard. Here’s what it looks like in the editor, and here’s what it looks like in practice.

When you click on the “View Case” button from the dashboard page, this is what you get to - specific information about the collection case, pulled from the “Case” data of whatever part of the repeating group I clicked on.

What I’m trying to do is add functionality that allows users to see updates on the status of their cases, based on specific workflow actions or manual user input. My thinking was it would be easiest to implement this through a repeating group, and to add a new “Case Update” data type, and just handle it that way. But is it possible to implement a repeating group in the specific page for an already existing repeating group (Case data type)?

What would be the best way to approach this?

Comments and help is appreciated :smiley:

Or if anybody has any other ideas on how to approach this, much appreciated. I’m really stuck :frowning:

Not 100% sure I understand what you’re asking – but you can definitely do what I think you’re trying to accomplish.

A repeating group can work for an “activity log” of updates, or if you want them to be more “real-time” you can experiment with putting “toast” notifications on your page. Or both!

Maybe add “list of Case Updates” as a sub-data type on each “Case”…

Then, just make sure you have the “create a new thing” (Case Update) action, as well as the “make changes to thing” (Case… you’ll be adding that Case Update to the Case’s list of Case Updates) added to each workflow that ever updates a case.

Then add a repeating group (whose data type is “Case Update” (parent group’s case’s list of case updates) & you have your data!

Hope this makes sense - let me know if you get stuck.

This might work! I didn’t know that sub data-types existed. Let me look into this.

1 Like