This is our September community update! Read last month’s update here.
August was a month of steady progress, both in terms of shipping product improvements, and in terms of the no-code movement growing. Two things in particular we’re excited about:
We’re partnering with Notion to offer perks to entrepreneurs. This was one of the most-shared announcements we’ve made to date, which we think reflects a general excitement about the no-code ecosystem maturing and popular companies working together to make the lives of no-code founders easier!
We’re very happy to be a sponsor of the upcoming Nocode Summit, Sept 29th and 30th!
We welcomed seven new people to our team this month:
- Rosie, joining us as a recruiter
- Aaron, Ryan, Spencer, and Nidhi, joining us as engineers
- Jerrel, joining us as an engineering manager
- Alicia, joining us as an account executive
We’re continuing to improve and streamline our hiring process. We made a number of changes this month to how we hire for Technical Product Support Specialists to make the experience faster and friendlier, which is a role that we often try to fill with experienced Bubblers from the community, and would love you to apply. Our full list of openings is here.
Changes we made this month
If you’ve visited your home page recently, you probably noticed we’ve overhauled the design: our goal was to make it more attractive and easier to use, especially for people who have a lot of apps. We also updated our support center and contact us pages.
We were very excited to release a major performance improvement to rendering pages on Bubble as an experimental feature, and plan to release it for all apps once we are fully confident in its stability.
A few other product improvements:
We now support 3d secure cards which should allow users in India to have an easier time paying us
We added additional repeating group controls to conditional formatting, which provides more design flexibility and reduces the effort it takes to build sophisticated responsive repeating group layouts.
We also made some important behind-the-scenes improvements, including moving our internal data pipeline to dbt, which should make our internal product and business analytics faster and more robust.
This month in numbers
New conversations via bug reports or [email protected]: 9,988 (up 10.4%).
Average first response time to messages: 1h 32m during business hours (down 12.3%)
Average response time to messages: 1h 28m during business hours (down 14.3%)
Tickets closed by the engineering team in the past 30 days: 148 (up from 95)
Average days to closure for tickets closed by the engineering team: 21 (down from 48.9 days)
Average days to closure for high priority tickets: 7.3 (up from 6 days)
Things on our minds
We are still spending a fair amount of effort building internal tooling for our teams to prevent abuse of our platform, including people who are using us to build phishing websites. We believe that abusive actors led to the incident two days ago where Avast and other antivirus tools were briefly flagging apps hosted on bubbleapps.io as phishing websites. Following the prior incident last month, we put in effort to segregate the domain names we use to host assets, and as a result, this incident did not affect apps hosted on custom domain names. We also believe the relatively fast recovery was due to some of the changes we made, which made it easier to identify the harmful apps as being on separate subdomains from the rest of our applications hosted on bubbleapps.io. We are continuing to invest in our tooling to efficiently moderate the Bubble platform, and expect to make significant progress here over the next month.
What we’re currently working on
Following up on our latest post about pricing, we are continuing to do technical work on capacity and auto-scaling. Our focus right now is on making improvements to the way we track capacity usage to ensure that the metric is stable with respect to changes we make to our code: we have had incidents in the past where a bug we release or a change we make significantly impacts the capacity usage of applications, and want to reduce the degree to which capacity usage fluctuates over time prior to enabling auto-scaling. This stabilization work should be behind-the-scenes: the total capacity usage of applications should not significantly change, and instead should become more stable moving forward.
Other ongoing workstreams:
Our work on an improved version control interface continues: we have working code for many of the features in the initial release, and are hard at work on finishing it, as well doing the design and planning for follow-on releases
For the overhaul of our network architecture and infrastructure, we are starting with improving our credentials and configuration management, and aim to have our first production system using the new configuration management by the end of the month.
In order to increase our overall reliability, we are working on the way our alerting and observability systems work. We’ve launched a proof-of-concept of it and are playing with it internally.
We are working on our new components system to improve how easy and fast it is to build beautiful apps on Bubble. We are mostly done with the initial development, and aim to enter internal testing and QA in the next two weeks.
Wishing everyone a fantastic fall,
Josh and Emmanuel