More context on our changes to pricing

How are we ever able to compete with other software companies with such an increase in price, even with all optimizations putted in place?

As many other Bubbler’s mentioned: we are willing to pay more and of course understand the fact that Bubble needs to increase revenue, but this new pricing model is getting a lot of us out of competition.

1 Like

Yea. That math seems correct to me.

1 Like

Capacity has been a black box. WUs is something we can at least measure experimentally and get concrete numbers. That’s definitely more convenient way to analyse and optimise your app.

2 Likes

riddle me this, if bubble is a viable product to build at scale SAAS solutions, and, according to Bubble, over 2.3M applications has been created and $10b in funds have been raised by applicatons built on the platform. So I can only assume there should be plenty of very large and successful applications running on the Bubble framework.

Is it not then a feasible strategy to bias costs towards those larger applications, than trying to squeeze out thousands of dollars from small, not yet profitable applications?

That would be a similar model to how Unreal (in game dev) and Appgyver (app dev) does it.

4 Likes

I had the pleasure to speak with @emmanuel a few days ago and he explained me the new pricing. The criterion made sense to me but the WU consumption was not yet available so I had no clue on how many WU my app was using.

Today I found out. My app used 750K WU in the last 30 days with only 12 paying users (it’s an MVP). The app is a loyalty system for small retailers. The Merchant pays 24.50 EUR/month. His clients (the Shoppers) pay nothing but do “check-ins”.

I made some calculations:
In a scenario Starter + Tier 2, Bubble would cost 28$ per Merchant
In a scenario Starter + Tier 4, Bubble would cost 14.6$ per Merchant

Even with the best possible optimization I doubt I would be able to bring the Bubble cost down to a few $ per Merchant. I will spend the next 18 months trying to figure out if there’s a way to use Bubble just as a front-end and move the db and all the queries elsewhere. If any Bubbler has suggestions on this, it would be very appreciated.

In terms of helping Bubblers to optimize their apps, I suggest to show in each WF the WU consumption of the last 30 days.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 alle 23.45.42

17 Likes

@emmanuel could you please write something to this obviously huge topic?

1 Like

@emmanuel @josh There are now over 500 replies from customers in this thread but I haven’t seen a single reply from a Bubble team member responding to the many questions/concerns being raised. Given all the fallout from the previous attempt at announcing new pricing plans I would have expected an “all hands on deck” type of response from Bubble today. Perhaps the strategy is just to let everyone vent and then come back with responses once you’ve had a chance to analyze all of the feedback, but from my perspective this silence is really deafening.

As I mentioned in a previous reply in this thread, it looks like my app should be relatively unaffected by the new pricing plan, but I seem to be in the small minority. Based on the stats shared by many about the workload intensity of their apps, can someone at Bubble double-check that the “App Metrics” are being reported correctly? It seems that there must be some sort of bug that is dramatically inflating the workload units being reported as surely Bubble doesn’t intend to increase customer costs by 10-20 times (or more in some cases)?

9 Likes

Tested again with the same app and only 1 user sign up and log in (bubble updates workload stats once per 1 hour):
Total: 33 WU

• Page load: 5 WU
  • Other stuff (API and fetch data): 1 WU
5 Likes

Pelo que entendi devemos melhorar a otimização de nossos app, e a própria Bubble se comprometeu melhorar a otimização também, eles estão falando que depois de todas essas ações reduzirmos uns 90% dos WUs assim espero.

Tenho um projeto pequeno mas está batendo 1milhão Wu nesse caso teria um aumento de 78% achei muito

Thanks very helpful

Estranho

Man. I’m looking back on the plans we didn’t want last time.

The fundamental idea behind these new plans is that they’ll offer much more capacity, with 15 units on Personal, 25 on Professional and 35 on Production (so that apps actually rarely hit their limits) and instead will have limits on their unique visitors and things in the database.
Changes to how we charge for applications going forward

Can we go back to this model? At least with this model we can use bubble to it’s full potential while knowing what the limits are. Knowing what our cost per user will be as we scale.

1 Like

:joy: now times that with a modest 2000 users, 66,000 WU right there… oh and maybe you’d like an app to go with that log in page? Now you’re paying hundreds to thousands of dollars a month.

2 Likes

impossivel concordar com a nova precificação

Now it’s time to dust off old concerns about Bubble’s lack of functionality, determine if that is still the case (Bubble has slipped in more than a few improvements in recent years), and then call out Bubble to provide functionality that’s missing and would reduce workload usage.
From my perspective, this will be essential for the future of Bubble.

2 Likes

É um pior que o outro. Os dois são terríveis.

If those APIs could have achieved that I would not have bothered making copies of data.

Completamente desproporcional e sem fundamentos essa mudança!
Se no plano atual praticamente todos os aplicativos consumem menos de 10% do servidor, ainda que o sistema esteja “não otimizado”, qual o sentido desse mesmo consumo passar a custar dez vezes mais caro na nova precificação?

Vejam, é uma enorma incoerência. Se estando NÃO OTIMIZADO ele só consome 5% do desempenho do plano de $ 30, por que ele passará a custar $ 300 “por estar sem otimização”?

Justificar essa mudança de preços com base em “escalabilidade” é chamar os desenvolvedores bubble de trouxa.

Aproveitem esses 18 meses e corram para outra plataforma. Bubble não oferece segurança aos seus usuários. Em um dia você paga X, no mês seguinte, depois que você tem toda uma empresa rodando na plataforma deles, obrigam você a pagar 10x mais. Isso é uma extorsão.

3 Likes

Honestly, if this pricing goes ahead, I don’t think there is a future for bubble in its current form. It’s quite evident that the only actors able to pay these price increases are larger commercial players.

So Bubble will have to change to target commercial actors (there’s a few low code solutions doing just that in these price ranges already).

There’s just simply no way anyone can pay thousands of dollars a month for modestly scaling a bedroom start up application, which to be fair, is probably the bread and butter of Bubble.

3 Likes

RIP Bubble :skull_and_crossbones:

6 Likes