Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Moving workflow from Front-End to Back-End

Hello all!

On initial onboarding of a user, I’ve got to fetch a batch of data from an external API. Based on some forum recommendations, since I don’t know how many of the items they have, it grabs the data in few steps, stores in a placeholder thing (result of the GET is saved to a field as “add items to a list”) and then runs a workflow to break apart the data to create the individual things I want. This is a bit of a long-running process on the front end (maybe 2 mins or so to process ~200 items), so I wanted to move it to the back-end and have the user notified when it’s complete.

The workflow worked just fine on the front-end other than being slow, but moving the workflows to the back-end now is running even more slowly and not making it through all the items. The initial “grab” action works, but the “schedule an API workflow on a list” seems to be taking forever and seems to be hanging up and not completing. The same process that took 2 mins on the front end never finishes and ~60 of the 200+ items is getting created after waiting for 30+ minutes.

So to recap, what I had before:

• Step 1 (frontend)- Create Thing (2 fields, 1 for the user, and 2nd is a “list” field which has the results of API GET)
  • Step 2 (backend) - Schedule API Workflow on a List (running on the result of Step 1)
  • Step 3 (frontend) - Step 1 again with different settings if 200 items created out of Step 2.

Now:

• Step 1 (frontend) - Schedule API Workflow
  • Step 2 (backend) - Create Thing
  • Step 3 (backend) - Schedule API Workflow on a List (result of step 2)
  • Step 4 (backend) - Step 2 repeat if 200 items on Step 3…

Is there a better way to handle this? I do need individual things in order to do some of the operations needed, so can’t leave them in the initially created item.

Any help would be appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.