Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Multi-select dropdown not showing default values - bug or not?

Hi All,

I’m fairly new to Bubble so before I raise a bug ticket for this I thought I should check here first, in case I’m missing something obvious. The issue is somewhat difficult to explain, so I have created a forum app for it (my first one so I hope I have done it right). The app is at https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=multidropissue&id=forumapp3&tab=tabs-1

Overview
My app has two types of users - parents and their children. A parent enrols the child for a number of subjects. I can successfully do this but when I try to create a group (my app is a one-page app) for editing the subjects (after initial addition), the multi-select dropdown for the subjects does not show the subjects the child is already enrolled for. I have tried this with both auto-binding and a default value search.

To reproduce the problem, please follow the steps below. Note that I have tried three approaches to solving the problem. Approach #3 works but it is not what I want. Basically, I need option 1 to work and I can’t see why it doesn’t

Approach 1 - preferred (Navigate from child list on parent group to child’s dashboard group and then to Edit Subject group)

1. Login as [email protected] with password ‘password’
  2. On the resulting Parent Profile group , click on the first (topmost) icon in the repeating group (the user icon)
  3. On the resulting Dashboard group, click on each of the Edit Subjects buttons in turn
    Expected Result: On the resulting Edit Subjects group, at least one of the multi-select dropdowns should show the existing subjects for child
    Actual Result: Existing subjects are not shown.
    Note: I have 3 versions of the multi-select dropdown because I have again tried three approaches there - auto-binding being one of them and the other two are search-based default values.

Approach 2 (Navigate directly from child list on parent group to Edit Subject group)

2. On the resulting Parent Profile group, click on the second (from top) icon in the repeating group (the edit icon)
    Expected Result: On the resulting Edit Subjects group, at least one of the multi-select dropdowns should show the existing subjects for child
    Actual Result: Existing subjects are not shown.

Approach 3 (similar to approach 2 but instead of using 'Parent Group’s User when passing data to the Edit Subjects group, I use an email constraint )

2. On the resulting Parent Profile group, click on the third (from top) icon in the repeating group (the checkmark icon)
    Actual Result: It works! but a) why does this work when approach #2 doesn’t and b) how can I get approach #1 to work. I have tried to use the same constraints in approach #1. It’s as if data is being lost because of the intermediate (dashboard) group. I suspect a bug but I may be wrong.

By the way, I have used the debugger and the correct data seems to be passing between the groups using Parent Group’s User

I think you have enough information and test cases to raise a bug.

There are other problems with this control, hint, try a touch screen.

FYI I think for better User eXperience, the signup form could do with a lot less on it to reduce the barrier to entry.

If you have a suspected bug, there is a category for that called ‘Bugs’. You can check others views before submitting a bug_report or not.

1 Like

Thanks @mishav, my actual sign up flow is nothing like that :-). I built the screens you see specifically for the forum app.

Bug report submitted.

Housekeeping: Reported as a bug and promptly fixed by the team. Thanks @emmanuel

1 Like