Need help retrieving API Data

Hello there,
This is my first API set up, and it’s not going good, at all

I was given the api web address and a key, but I can’t get it to initialize. Here are some images of what I might be doing wrong.

Please help if you can. Thanks, Jo

Hi there,

I am not 100% sure but you may need to include your API key as a parameter and not as a header. Also ensure you include both Key and Value. In your screenshot you have left the key blank. Try removing your first header and moving it to the parameters.

Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions.

Thank you so much for your response. Okay I’ll try that.

To be honest, I have no idea what the key is, sort of.

The FMCSA site gave me a webkey, but I thought (from watching a video) it was suppose to go in the “value” input.

I can put it in the Key input, but what then should go in the “value” input?

For now, I’ll work on getting th ekey in the parameter. :slight_smile:

So here’s what I did, but it’s not working.

:frowning: Sorry.

Maybe try “webKey” as your key

Okay, I tried that. No luck.

Screenshot_20221101_090903

Hi there,

I create apps that utilize API calls and have pretty good success. When I went to this particular site I see a message that says the following:

Sorry for the inconvenience. The API’s and any associated documentation are not available due to a technical issue on our end. We have not established a time frame for restoring functionality. Once resolved we will notify users through the ‘govdelivery’ distribution.

When you add and delete headers, sometimes it will “corrupt” your whole call. Create a new call (don’t duplicate it). Don’t set selfhandled/none for auth and use key in url instead. Key name, according to the screenshot should be webKey

Okay, thank you Dan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, Thank you Jici, I’ll try and let you know. Thank you soooo much!!!

Yipeeee, it worked it worked!! Backflip-somersault-dancing in the aisles happy!!

Thank you soooo much Jici. You’re the greatest!

2 Likes

I’m happy to try and help you with this once it appears to be restored. Typically the “?webkey=” part doesn’t exist in the header URL though (or ‘token’ or ‘key’, etc.)

That is usually set in the “Add a shared header” area. Below is an example of how many of my API calls get set up. The redacted blue area is where I put my “webkey” or “token”.

The first thing I do though before all of this is to verify that I can take the API URL and paste it into a browser and get a response. That confirms that it works and is communicating. Once I have established that, then I begin to populate the API call in Bubble.

• Dan

Jici hit upon it. I put the url and the key together, and all the magic happened. I’m still not sure if the call is current though as I did see that message and not sure they are updating the information. But, I’m glad I got this far. Now I have to figure out what conditions would prevent a user from setting up a fictitious motor carrier number on my app, so I’ll be tinkering a bit.

Thanks again, and I may need help later, but I’ll see. Take care, and be safe, Jo

Well, I’m in trouble again. :frowning: My app allows motor carriers to sign up and create a Motor Carrier account, but I’m trying to prevent fictitious motor carrier accounts using the api from FMCSA to allow me to write some kind of conditional to make this so.

I’m not sure if I need a GET or a POST for this operation, but all I get from allowed carriers is a “Y” and all I get from links-carriers allowed is the link below which when pasted in the address bar, I get JSON text like below.

Screenshot_20221102_115443
Screenshot_20221102_115315

If you have any idea how I could pull this off Sir, it would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jo

Well, I’m in trouble again. :frowning: My app allows motor carriers to sign up and create a Motor Carrier account, but I’m trying to prevent fictitious motor carrier accounts using the api from FMCSA to allow me to write some kind of conditional to make this so.

I’m not sure if I need a GET or a POST for this operation, but all I get from allowed carriers is a “Y” and all I get from links-carriers allowed is the link below which when pasted in the address bar, I get JSON text like below.

Screenshot_20221102_115443
Screenshot_20221102_115315

If you have any idea how I could pull this off, it would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jo

Do you have a link to API doc? Also can you share your settings actually?

yeah, I had one let me look it up right quick. Ah, I’ve never shared my settings, I don’t mind, but how do I do that? Thanks again, Jo

Just remembered I have an image of that page, but I’m looking for it now.

The problem with the image is that it doesn’t give us any idea about the api reference/endpoints and how to use the endpoint you are looking for.

You can just share screenshot of your setting in Bubble APi connector

Oh, Okay.

Also, I found a link for developers that I’m looking into now.
https://mobile.fmcsa.dot.gov/QCDevsite/

Okay, I think I found something.
The url is FMCSA Developer

and https://mobile.fmcsa.dot.gov/qc/services/