New Experimental Performance Enhancements

Awesome! Thanks @cal

I’ll be testing it :rocket:

Thank you @cal! I turned it on and am experiencing dropped fonts. When inspecting, I see some of the fonts get put to var, which picks up the default font. Is that a quick fix, or should I submit a bug report?

Thanks for the report @mikreative! This should be fixed now

Stupid question, if I turn it on, it only impacts the dev version, not live, correct?

Yes - until you push to live, it will only impact the development version you enable it on.

Thanks, @cal! I’m also seeing some issues with fonts (in random locations) when this new version is enabled

@cal This sounds great! Unfortunately I have not updated my apps to the new responsive engine because when I tried it, my apps got completely broken (+1000 issues on the issue checker) and the design got all flipped over as well. Fixing all that that is like having to rebuild years of work.

I think there is a lot of people in my same situation and we would appreciate if you could find a way that allow us to update to the new responsive engine without messing up our existing apps.

That way we can access to this kind of updates that are very important for all of us.

Thanks for your hard work!

3 Likes

@mac2 If you wouldn’t mind submitting a bug report about the font issues, or DMing me an app / page to check, I would be grateful

@pachocastillosr Unfortunately, because the new engine and old engine are built on entirely different principles, it’s hard to make the change seamless. We are always looking into ways to make the upgrade experience smoother - a lot of people have had success with converting small sections of an app into reusable elements and converting those 1-by-1. Still, we understand it’s no easy feat.

5 Likes

Sam here from the success team - as @cal mentioned above this is a tedious process - if you want to DM me a link to your application I’m happy to take a look at it and help you develop a solid strategy for upgrading. It will take time, but it definitely shouldn’t take years!

8 Likes

Just enabled it and when I’m clicking buttons that use the action “Go to page”, it’s going to https://bubble.io/pagename

EDIT: Nvmd it actually is link items that are being affected. No errors shown in editor.

@cal I realised when I upgraded that all my pop-ups were affected. All stopped scrolling, I had to add a group into the popup with scroll on overflow for it to display all content. Is this a feature or a bug? I understand that in the past a lot of developers have requested the page to stay static when popups were visible. Thanks

@rod.danan Thanks for the report - I should have a fix for that out shortly.

@amos - i’m not seeing that on my popups - is there a specific configuration of popups? Could you DM me a page / app to check? (it’s fine if you already disabled the feature, I can clone the app to test it out). Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @cal :wave:

I know it may be a silly question, but once we update our page to the new responsive engine, this enhancement will start to work, right? Or the page must be created from the scratch in the new engine?

1 Like

I would love to get my grubby hands on this; see if I could come up with a framework to migrate them. You’re not the first one I see mentioning this pain. It pains me to see someone NOT using the new engine :wink:

10 Likes

@cal I see that this is starting to compile styles on the server and include DOM CSS Classes. Will this eventually lead to generating HTML on the server? I see that the page structure. is still loaded as an empty < body >.

Progress in the right direction.

@rpetribu That’s correct - these improvements will apply to any new responsive page, regardless of how they were created / upgraded.

@bubble38 That’s the idea :slightly_smiling_face:. Server-side HTML is definitely the major goal here, but there were fundamental ways our old elements code was incompatible with it. So, we had to rewrite a lot of the rendering in this new system, which is most of what this change is. In the process, we were able to easily support moving CSS to stylesheets.

Server-side HTML is many times more complex than server-side CSS, so I wanted to get the changes out now so we could get feedback / bug reports while working on the further improvements; ultimately, I am very excited by the changes this unlocks.

7 Likes

Ugh agree. Beyond missing the awesomeness of the new engine, new Bubble features like this will be out of reach.

1 Like

I can see your situation as equal as many Bubble customers!
It is a very sensitive situation.

@emmanuel @cal
I feel frustrated when I hear Bubble inform: “ok, we have news, but it only works so that it accepts to change/update its entire structure. Sorry.”

It’s not simple, when talking about business, to change something and just see what happens.
Bubble needs to think that we are not only students practicing, however we are entrepreneurs. We have to think about our customers too, and Bubble with us.

I believe Bubble could take into account not forgetting the customers who believed in the first idea and grew, somehow, within Bubble.

I beleive a good part of who is updating their APPs for the new features, are those who have small applications, or are just starting out. So it is east to fix some new issues in reason that update action.

So, please Bubble, don’t forget to help “yours primaries and loyal customers” to grow without creating situations where our current apps have to suffer great losses in order to receive “such new features”.

Remember that many of us have customers, business being practiced, so some changes that impact the continuity of companies and provive the service to “our customers”, certainly cannot be applied, if we will immediately have 1000 (or more) errors due to the changes and to absorb more hours (and costs) to fix them all.

Ps.: I hope I can be understood positively.
Ps.: Congratulations for always looking for updates.

2 Likes

Thank you, @cal ! There are a few bits not rending correctly. I’ll make a Loom video and message you.

Just added the feature yesterday, realized today that popups aren’t showing in the order they were before. Some are popping behind already shown popups, so you can’t interact with what’s being prompted.

Should I submit a bug report?