[New Feature] Geographic search box improvements

Thanks - this is helpful.

On my own domain I’m getting this error in the console: “This API project is not authorized to use this API. Please ensure this API is activated in the Google Developers Console” - however the Google key is definitely enabled (and unrestricted to any particular domain).

Have you seen this problem before? Any tips?

Aha I think I’ve spotted the problem. My key was enabled for “Maps” but not for “Places”. Have now enabled and things seem to be working fine. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

@george111, yes, you’re on the right path. Since others may encounter the same, sharing my walkthroughs on Google Maps APIs here.

• If you’re setting up your Google Maps projects (er, API key(s)) for the first time. watch this one.
  • If you need to enable additional Google Maps APIs on a project (er, API key(s)) that has already been set up, watch this one.

Can you find a way to make the chosen address from the search box to show the place name only, rather than the whole address?

2 Likes

@aphz88, I just discovered that you can extract an address to all the separate parts of the address.

1 Like

@mike_verbruggen, one of my favorite (somewhat hidden) features! @aphz88, the video below provides a bit more context if you want to explore further.

2 Likes

Thank you for this, but I am looking for a way to get the place name, so for instance the current functioning means that someone can search for Googleplex or Google Campus in the searchbox and the result is 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043. While Bubble gives you the various options that you demonstrate in the video, it doesn’t give the option to extract the place name, which would be Google Campus or Googleplex.

I think my users would prefer just having the place name. Wrigley Field looks a lot cleaner than 1060 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613.

But you bring up an interesting point to save it as an address. Would it be possible to use an additional plugin to then look up the saved address and find the place name? I haven’t found a cheap or free plugin that would do this though.

Looks like the easiest way to do that is just grab “name” from your own call to Google Places:

https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/details

(If “name” isn’t something returned by Bubble’s implementation of Google Places API… NOTE: I do not use Bubble’s implementation of Google Places, nor do I use my own implementation of Google Places API. It’s just that their docs seem pretty clear on what can be returned. I use plenty of Google geocoding service, etc.)

1 Like

Is the Google Places API expensive?

Google’s documentation covers this. Is your Google broken?

https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/usage-and-billing

2 Likes

Hello,

I read the docs, but is it easy to extract the name value of the SearchBox easy ? I don’t find the solution…

Thank you so much if you have any idea !

Charles

1 Like

Still having the same issue March 2021. When you add the formatted as address it doesn’t work. So I’ve created an invisible text field that takes the result and then formats it as address. Having other issues though, outside the scope of this thread.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out either. This is my biggest issue. I’m using a repeating group, filtered by a text input field rather than a search field but this doesn’t seem to produce results within proximity of the user. Really frustrated. Have you figured anything out since you first posted?

Same! There must be a solution! This can’t be that complicated!

It seems like there’s no clean way to extract the name of the place. Has anyone found a solution?