[New Features] API Connector

Did you re-initialize the api call after you checked “Include errors in response and allow workflow actions to continue”?

I did. I’ll be happy to share screen etc with someone at bubble if that helps.

Feel free to share a screenshot of your current setup (api call, the initialization modal, and your workflow). The community might have some ideas as well.

Turns out I’m an idiot (who knew). When I re-initialized it, I used the “manually enter api response” because it was the “easy” thing to do, not realizing that by doing that all of the new headers information will be missing from the payload.

All good now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@josh24 @nick.carroll Having an issue with backend workflow. When “Detect Data” parameter used for API WF, the API WF is not able to be used in “Schedule …” functions for single calls and lists. I’ve initialized the call and detected the data. Is this a bug or is there a trick to getting this to work? Cheers - P

I’ve noticed I can’t Use the api data types in backend workflows too. Lame

1 Like

@josh @nick.carroll @jared.gibb Can we enable this functionality? This will add a tremendous amount of power to the platform. I can’t seem to find any solutions even after weeks of testing. Also looping in some other power users who’ve faced the “ghetto API” issue lol @keith @parker1 - cheers

1 Like

Instead of using the “Schedule…” functions, you can simply call your API WF from the “API Connector” Plugin.

1 Like

@reger-alexander Thanks - however this solution does not work with complex workflows. Even when you call your own API, still unable to use “detected data” in following triggered workflows. For example, importing members from twitter, have to run a list function to move those members into a Bubble DB object array. This is useful when importing different types of external objects into a singular Bubble object type.

1 Like

Hey all - will look into this behavior. Does one mind describing their desired use case so I have more context? Thanks!

1 Like

Sure - in our use case, trying to use a json array from twitter call to save as new Bubble db in backend API . I’m having an issue working with the API; because its not a Bubble object, cannot call a list API function or normal “Schedule API” trigger.

2 Likes

@nick.carroll

Same for me with airtable data. Also with google calendar events.

2 Likes

For anyone else stuck on this issue: @keith does a fantastic job at creating and explaining working with lists with his List Shifter and List Popper (for API results). Would love to see Bubble support him and this functionality @nick.carroll - could be one of the most powerful additions to Bubble once its added; however this functionality is still broken with any json API results. Please fix :0 @nick.carroll. To be clear; the issue is that there is no way to meaningfully work with the results of an API call because of the way Bubble reads the data of the “thing”

@jared.gibb + community - Here’s the only solution I’ve found so far for server side parsing (though its not efficient for longer arrays of API server-side data)

Step 1 - Extract with Regex:
(?:"|’)(?[\w\d]+)(?:"|’)(?::\s*)(?:"|’)?(?[\w\s-.d]*)(?:"|’)

Step 2 - Find and Replace:
You are filtering and finding&replacing based on the key: value pair. Order really matters here, as well as sequence on the list. I typically run some filters then find and replace to extract values. Dm me if y’all need help.

@nick.carroll - A lot of experienced bubblers and traditional coders struggling with parsing the API data. There’s no clean way besides ^^ or moving processing outside of Bubble (which does not make sense). Can we add this to the wish list for 2023?

1 Like