New features to override timezones

@grace.hong I’m not quite sure why the your development team removed it completely without a transition period where we have the option to keep the experimental feature rather than just remove it completely. As of now, we are having to audit our entire system that runs in the production tier as we have many users in many different timezones and were using an äbsolute setting for timezones to prevent issues with reporting, date selectors, etc. That the feature is just pulled like this without the ability to retain it when not on a dedicated server seems a little off to me. A solution if people find this feature confusing is to simply have them untick the box rather than pull the feature completely is my opinion. From a selfish perspective this is not what we needed just before Christmas, for goodness sake. We cannot even set the timezone of the page, as that feature is also gone, which would have saved us hours of dev time.

3 Likes

Were you able to get on the calendar for an interview with @grace.hong? I had a great chat with her the other day, and we went over how useful this feature is for our app, but it sounds like you’re exposed to a larger variety of use cases and may be able to express its importance more clearly.

1 Like

@boston85719 That is definitely feedback you might want to submit to the parentheses team.

As @tylerboodman said, you can control where parenthesis are placed by using a different “more” to add the content, which is cumbersome but better than no control at all.

It would be nice to be able to move or place parentheses directly, but that would open up a whole can of worms with orphaned or mis-ordered parentheses, so I’m not sure if it’s viable.

Personally, I’m happy with how the feature works as is.

2 Likes

I completely feel your pain here. From my understanding, adding back even the experimental feature simply isn’t possible until the next release version. With how many people are raising arms about this, I’m confident it will be returned, but that doesn’t fix your problem now.

In the meantime, check out the moment time zone plugin and @keith’s parallels plugin. These may provide some short-term workarounds for you.

1 Like

This is outrageous! Bring back the timezone setting feature! Why would you get rid of it? Entire applications depend on it!

1 Like

This is the most absurd and infuriating decision I have ever seen by a firm that REQUIRES that I trust them to run my business. We were only alerted to this once our reservation system began hemorrhaging duplicated. This is ruining our company over Christmas. I had made a full commitment to Bubble and frankly I feel stupid to have entrusted the business to a group that acts so arbitrarily and recklessly. I have lost all faith in Bubble.

3 Likes

I just wanted to join the list of shocked users.
I had a very significant issue with dates manipulation in my app that I entirely solved with the timezone overriding feature, after weeks of trying.

I used it everywhere in my app from the time I discovered it, so it will now be very difficoult to track back all the changes I made. Also, I will need to figure out a new solution for my issue.

Please, please, we need to get that functionality back. I’ll not be able to upgrade to any new version until that.

1 Like

Hi all - apologies for the delayed response. We’re working on shaping this project out right now to release this to our users. I can’t provide an exact timeline due to other competing priorities, but we are aiming to bring it back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The masses have spoken, and Bubble has heard. Community outreach at its finest.

4 Likes

@grace.hong would it be possible to have the datepicker update dynamically the timezone when it is changed or with the Reset relevant inputs or Reset a group/popup actions? Currently, the date needs to be updated for the input to reevaluate the timezone used. It’s not very useful having a dynamic field where we need to reselect a date for it to be updated.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! The override time zone broadly feature sounds pretty awesome - does it also impact the FullCalendar plugin? It’s very frustrating trying to manage the time zone issue on the calendar when trying to depict “all day” events on the same calendar day across all time zones.

Hi @grace.hong

Has there been any progress in bringing the feature back? I’m hoping to fix some issues in an application that is heavily reliant on dates and timezones.

3 Likes

Yup, we’re tying up the solution and then will pass it along to engineering soon. This is a project we’re hoping to tie up by the end of this quarter (end of March), balancing other priorities.

4 Likes

Hi @grace.hong

Do you have an update about this feature please? I am really struggling with making my app time zone independent. I am trying to save, manipulate and display data consistently in UTC, but unfortunately there are cases where this is not feasible such as when using the “:rounded down” operator for instance.

I’d appreciate any updates on this.

2 Likes

Yes - our engineers are working on releasing this either this week or next week. Will update the thread once it’s out!

4 Likes

I don’t know if you used the original experimental feature or not, but I wouldn’t call it hacky. It was a fairly elegant way of handling time zones. That’s why we all want it back. It’s good for Bubble to have a “default” way of handling timezones, but developers just need a way of overriding that default when necessary.

2 Likes

Excited for this to be back. I have so many ways I plan to apply it as we expand the event and calendar functionality of our app. Thanks for listening to the community @grace.hong!

1 Like

Well said Aj. This is my primary thought on every feature!

1 Like

Any updates on this? Can’t afford any hacky workarounds for time zones any more when “optimization” is now so critical.

Hi everyone - advanced timezone controls are back, now as native features! Learn more here: [New feature] Advanced options, including advanced timezone controls

3 Likes