[New Plugin] Bdk Text Editor

Yep this is the same thing as my suggestion above, but with the html format. Was just here to suggest the alternative :slight_smile: And you had already figured it out!

Thanks @gaurav! Is there any way to change the line-height of the text editor? Iā€™m trying to make it as seamless as possible with the normal Bubble text display.

Also any way to reduce the padding?

1 Like

Hi @gaurav, I identified another issue. Apparently, I can change read-only mode through a conditional statement. I tried it and itā€™s not working.

Just wanted to let you know so you make this plugin better.

Yeah Iā€™ll try to incorporate that in future. Btw you can do this exact same thing via bubbleā€™s ā€˜Do when workflow tooā€™. Simply set Do when (every time) text editorā€™s value is not empty. That workflow will run on every change in content (same as autobinding). Infact this might put less load on your bubble app than autobinding

Iā€™m trying to do this but when I go into the Workflow Editor but I canā€™t find the bdkeditor. I will note the bdkeditor is placed in a repeating group.

hey @gaurav - I have an input inside the repeating group. Is there a way that I can set the content on a condition with workflows at all? Or, is it possible to set the content on the conditional just on the input itself? Setting ā€œInitial Contentā€ on the conditional is easy, but of course that only happens once.

I would find something like this useful as well. Iā€™ve found myself unable to access objects in repeating groups including this editor.

It would be nice too if there was a ā€œIf this inputā€™s value changesā€ event.

Hi @joe5 @leehaber,
So the way bubbleā€™s repeating groups work, it wonā€™t allow you to select an element in a cell from an action outside the cellā€¦ You can however use the workflows if the triggering event is from an element thatā€™s also in the cell (this way bubble knows which cell youā€™re targeting).

The list of elements in the dropdown (in screenshot provided by @joe5) is populated by bubble editor

Hi @gaurav

I might have found a little bug with the @mentions.

When you insert the ā€˜@ā€™ and then try to scroll the options, it scrolls the whole page instead of the dropdown. It looks like itā€™s trying to scroll - but is blocked.

The BDK editor settings are set to: Air mode = yes, Auto-grow = yes, stretch to fit = yes.

If you then add a letter say @A - it then allows you to scroll. See screenrecord link: https://youtu.be/DQmc75NrQ30

@gaurav I canā€™t seem to get this to work. Is there another way to enable autosave?

HI @gaurav ,
Trying to setup text editor.

1. when i try and display the text, i am only seeing the text and not the @mention? am i meant to be saving the input from the text editor in a certain way to then be able to display it correctly back in the text editor?

2. how do i use the @mention to trigger a notification to the user?

3. how do i get text editor to recognise weblinks?

Thanks.

Hey @gaurav Thanks for the plugin!

I have an issue with the experience as a user when I edit some content in the editor. Each time I press on the Return key or use the toolbar, it scrolls to the bottom of the page. This makes it very difficult to use when writing longer blog posts. It looks like it is linked to the auto-grow function as when I switched to a static format the issue disappears.

I went through all the messages on this thread and it looks like nobody had this issue before. Can you maybe have a look?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Daniel

Hello @daniel.abebe!

I also have this issue when responsiveness takes place.
If the responsive engine doesnā€™t act, then the issue is not present.

Thanks for pointing it out, I would have posted here, but now we are +1 :wink:

Waiting for @gaurav to check it in!

Thank you

1 Like

Hmm another way is to just tweak it a little bitā€¦

1. Create a custom state in the editor e.g. ā€˜last saved contentā€™ of type text
  2. Create ā€˜Do whenā€™ editorā€™s value is not editorsā€™ last saved content everytime ā†’ Step #3 below
  3. Set editorā€™s last saved content to editorā€™s value, and any other steps you want to (e.g. save in database)
2 Likes

Hi @cyriltdixon,

So plain text format will not display mention as mentions are not plain text elements. You should use editorā€™s rich content (or html if you prefer that) to save & display content in editor

You can use bubbleā€™s ā€˜Do whenā€™ action with ā€˜every timeā€™ and condition mentions list is not empty. That will run this workflow every time the list of mentions changes

Did you mean auto-detect links? Not supported auto-detection at the moment. Links have to be added via the toolbar link element

@daniel.abebe

Yep so thereā€™s a incompatibility in a couple of specific configurations b/w quillā€™s library and inlining HTMLs (i.e. not using CSS). The benefit of inlining html is you can use the content directly outside their bubble app as an email template / other places without any css. The downside are these edge cases.

Now one option is I switch to using html which requireā€™s the stylesheet to be present too. Iā€™m just worried about this impacting customers who are using the html output as content outside the bubble app. Itsā€™ a bit of tricky decision since people use the plugin for a variety of use cases. Hence havenā€™t rolled out an update till now. Currently looking into solutions if itsā€™ possible for me to upgrade the plugin without a breaking change / give some sort of a workflow-step driven workaround.

1 Like

Hey @gaurav

Thank you for your quick reply, really appreciate.

I understand your concern, I switched the format to static for now (no stretch to fit or auto-grow). It would be great if you could come up with a solution (maybe a new plugin while keeping the legacy active?). Donā€™t want to be too pushy as it is not a killer criteria right now but my client would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help and great plugin!

Cheers,
Daniel

Thanks @gaurav

Also, when in air-mode, users are unable to click links unless the editor is read only. Any changes coming to that?

Hi @gaurav,

This solution doesnā€™t actually do anything. Do you have an idea of when youā€™ll be able to implement autobinding? Is there something we can do to support you doing that? Yours is the best rich text editor on here but having to include a ā€œsaveā€ button for every instance really impacts UX

Hereā€™s a quick demo and link to the editor for the demo

You can use similar approach to detect when a mention has been added / removed etc.

Iā€™ll look into it in the next update. Right now thereā€™s a ā€˜jumping actionā€™ bug in a specific usecase that Iā€™m trying to resolve actually as a higher priority.

The editor stopped working.

Did anybody else encounter this issue?