[New Plugin] Bdk Text Editor

@gaurav first, thanks for this plugin and the others from bdk family. Super helpful.

Realistically, can we expect the auto-binding feature in the near future? I ask that because for my use case, the do-when trick won’t work, since my editor is on a repeating group.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @leehaber,
That message means bubble failed to load the library. Probably refreshing cache of your page should fix the issue.

Hi @letsexecute,
Great point. I built the autobinding feature and I have reason to believe the provided capability to plugin developers has bugs. So scrapped that but built something else (which I think maybe actually more flexible). Details in post below

BDK Text Editor [Plugin Update] Sep 16, 2020

1. Added ‘content is changed’ event trigger.
  • This action runs every time the content is changed. You can use it to perform autobinding like features or anything of your choice. The demo 1 is also updated to test this.
  1. Added ‘has gained focus’ and ‘has lost focus’ event triggers.
  • These actions run every time the editor is focused in / focused out of. You can use it to perform save data when tabbed out, show cool messages etc. of your choice.
  • Personally I think this is more useful than autobinding, as it doesn’t run saving action on every character add/remove but rather when user is done typing and moves off the editor. Much more performant.
    The demo 2 is also updated to test this.
  1. Added a #,@,/ dropdown default positioning. If set to top, the tags dropdown opens to top if there’s enough space. If there isn’t enough space then it opens to bottom. The default setting is bottom

You can upgrade the plugin to latest version to use these features.

Cheers,
Gaurav

1 Like

Hi Gaurav,

We have the editor in HTML mode - so just wondering when you select Text size i.e. Normal, H1, H2 where does it draw these size from? It doesn’t appear to be from Bubble styles?

Thanks
Simon

Hey @gaurav,

Thanks for the updates!

When using the editor in air mode, and using the lost focus feature, it seems as though clicking certain items on the toolbar (airmode toolbar) bring the editor out of focus. So it renders certain toolbar features useless at the moment. Specifically I can’t add a link.

In the case for us, when the editor isn’t focused, we toggle the editor to read-only so that you’re able to click any links in the editor and open them. Currently in airmode, this won’t work unless it’s read only.

@gaurav

It seems as though some markdown is supported in the editor. Is there a way to turn on all Quill supported markdown?

Thanks,
Mark

Yep this is because of inlining the HTML while doesn’t allow image alignements. This also causes the focus issues mentioned in your and later posts. I guess I will have to get rid of this feature. Will work on polishing the plugin, while hopefully giving existing setups an easy way to switch out of inlined html.

Hopefully I’ll get to 100% :smiley:

Hi @simon, those are from Quill’s library

Yep the inlining html feature mentioned above causes this effect on this use case :frowning:

Hmm I’ll look into it. Thing is adding the inline html was painful, and now its just causing these issues. I wanna make sure I fix that existing format before adding support for a full-fledged markdown format

1 Like

Hey @mark and @gaurav,

I was wondering if you had an answer on number 2 here?

I’m really hopeful of getting the hashtags working in a similar way to Instagram where the user can either select from a dropdown if the letters are matching while typing the hashtag. Otherwise if it doesn’t match, the user then just creates that tag which goes into the database - searchable by others then.

Is that possible or have you found a way to get around this?

Thanks,
Nick

@gaurav have you noticed any issues with the BDK rich text editor not showing up on the first visit of a page and only upon a page refresh?

Hi @nickhutton13,
That’s how it works already no… it just filters out the ‘as you type’ from the data source.
The second part - ‘if it doesn’t match then the user just creates that tag’… that’s not supported.
Note that the first part would work fine only for like a limited number of data source… If you have tens of thousands of users then you shouldn’t provide that many as a list in the data source since bubble would take tons of time to pull the data. In that scenario you’re better off using a paid service like Algolia for speed.

Hi @joe5,
Nope haven’t seen that. But I did have one customer who added bubble’s RTE on the page and it broke the library loading of BDK rich text editor. I’m not sure if its the same issue you’re facing. A quick check would be to look in the browser console and see if you get message like ‘module is not available. Have you registered it?’ or ‘Quill is not defined’

@gaurav Can we add a custom tag? We’d like to use a cashtag ($) for stock symbols instead of a hashtag.

1 Like

@gaurav Thanks for an amazing plugin! Saving me right now!!
Question: on click of a mention I’m able to redirect my users (in my case to the mentioned user’s profile page on my site) by having a “link to profile” field in my user database - but can I adjust something to get that click on link to not open in a new tab but rather in the same active window?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

How to purchase? The link is disabled

1 Like

Any updates on the jumping action? We’re experiencing this as well.

Hello @gaurav. is the image uploaded is responsive? when i tried its not showing responsive. what should be the problem?

@gaurav

Can we please have an option for hashtag, mention links to open in the same tab?

Also, any chance you’re improving the way drag & drop images are saved to db? Saving as rich text is not ideal. In fact, if someone uploads a gif I basically have to file a support ticket with bubble because the db can’t handle so many characters in a single field on a table.

Hey @gaurav , thanks a lot for the amazing plugin !

Question:
When you insert a mention, what does the “index” refer to in the delta rich text ? How do you calculate it ?
I’ve noticed the “index” value becomes “data-index” in the html.

"insert":{
    "mention":{
      "index":"0",
      "denotationChar":"#",
      "id":"1111111111x111111111111",
      "value":"MyContent"
    }
  }

or

<span class="mention" data-index="0" data-denotation-char="#" data-id="1111111111x111111111111" data-value="MyContent"><span contenteditable="false"><span class="ql-mention-denotation-char">#</span>MyContent</span></span>

I have multiple texts in my DB with 20-ish mentions each, and I would like to replace them with specific values, but I can’t manage to find the pattern behind this “index”.

It would help me a lot to find the regex expression and replace the mention with my text.

Thanks a lot ! :slight_smile:

[Disclaimer : I know there are many different ways to replace variables with a text (and mine is not the simplest). I’m using the mention feature to create visual variables in my text (the mention menu is such a great UX experience!). I know it’s not the intended purpose of this feature, but it’s working well so far :wink: ]

Hey @gaurav! Any updates on the fixes for inline HTML in regards to the image alignnment and autogrow issues? Your plugin is by far the best one I’ve used, and these fixes would definitely lock me in.

Hello,

I can’t succeed in getting the BDK Text editor working, I always get the “Quill is not defined” error message, and the editor doesn’t display at all.

This is blocking, and I’m paying for this plugin. Anyone could help if there’s any way to solve this bug ?

I cleaned the cache, refresh, force refresh, close and reopen the editor and the browser : nothing helps… Completely stucked… :angry:

@gaurav : could you please help ? This is a simple setup : text editor in a popup , no autobinding, HTML contents

1 Like