New Responsive Engine [beta] is Live!

Hey @nick.carroll - far as I can see it’s not possible to dynamically change the min width of column setting for a RG via a conditional.

This would be useful for creating this kind of behaviour for RG cells, changing from, for example, 4 to 2 columns below a certain page width.

2022-04-09_16-42-48

Without this conditional the columns will always go 4 > 3 > 2 > 1
2022-04-09_16-46-06

Great work on the engine!

5 Likes

Same question here! GroupFocus “Fit width to content” seems like an obviously missing feature for responsive at this point – have you figured this out, or have @emmanuel and @josh implemented this?

1 Like

@nick.carroll
Great work on the new responsive engine!

I also want the width of column dynamically changing.
This responsive setting is very common. Is this in your plan ?

I agree it would be useful. Until Bubble provides a way, this how-to might be helpful.

1 Like

Just to say that despite frustrating issues, this new editor is the way to go, changes everything

Hi everyone - quick announcement that we just released drag & drop in responsive containers. Full announcement here: New Responsive [beta] Drag and Drop in Editor Canvas

6 Likes

Hi @nick.carroll just saw the announcement and its great!!

Just wondering when will we have the plugins compatible with the new engine.

Thank you!!

The team will be converting bubble built plugins to new responsive over the coming weeks, and the updated plugin editor api that supports new responsive is currently being tested. When that is released, plugin developers will be able to update their plugins to new responsive as well.

7 Likes

Anyone figure this out yet? I have a repeating group (grid) of uniformly sized photos (200x200px). I had to set the min width of the column to 200 otherwise the photos were overlapping when changing browser window size. Now it successfully changes number of columns as I down-size the window.

BUT - on mobile, I need the pictures to be smaller and in a 2 column grid, seems like there is no way to do achieve this.

I don’t think it’s possible without some custom CSS.

Is there a way to organize the first level groups in the elements tree?

In the old engine they were organized by y axis, then z-index, then alphabetically, but I can’t seem to figure out a consistent pattern with the new engine.

1 Like

I am encountering this issue also. 2 root level floating groups that overlap. No amount of send to front/back makes a difference. Other than changing the z-index via CSS the only way seems to be the order they are added to the page, I think . Seem the first added item is on top and the second underneath. But that was under very frustrated and uncontrolled testing…

2 Likes

@nick.carroll any insight on this? Us OCD bubblers are going crazy :joy:

1 Like

I wish it behaved like this, but In my app, in the new responsive engine, if I set the minimum column width to 25% to have 4 big images on desktop, I will also get 4 small columns in mobile and vice versa.

I don’t know if this is cause I have a RG inside anothe RG or something else

You’ll want to use min widths as pixels not percentages.

Using percentages means that at any parent container width each image will take up 25% of that parent.

Using pixels is a hard limit, so you could stack the min widths in such a way that it’s impossible for a certain amount to fit in the row at a given page width.

I think you can conditionally set the minimum width based on the screen size. If you set your image to keep aspect ratio and fill the repeating group, it might solve your problem if I understood correctly.

Thx for the answer, i tried that, i wanted 2 columns on phone and 4 on pc, but if i set it to 150 px, the columns on pc are too small.

Luckily another user suggested me a way to change the mincolumnwidth which i thought was not working but now, thanks to you, I tried again and it’s now working ^^

Hello,

Is there anyone experiencing an slow and laggy Bubble editor with the new responsive engine?

3 Likes

yup… for the last 2 days it’s been bad for me too

4 Likes

I hope they can do something about this… it’s driving me nuts

1 Like